• 1 Post By huja
  • 3 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By uberbon
  • 1 Post By kimwy66
  • 5 Post By kimwy66

Car Scrapping

Closed Thread

Car Scrapping

There seem to be quite a few companies doing this, has anyone tried one and found it ok?

Car is 14 years old, runs perfectly, but I can't see it being worth much to sell and time is limited.

Original Post Deleted
    Yep, moving to our place in France to get residence before the end of the Brexit transition period. In quarantine here for 2 weeks, then have 10 days before we're off for good after 11 years. Husband was made redundant, which was the push we needed to get out.
    chuckster007, emx, Skyhook and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Yep, moving to our place in France to get residence before the end of the Brexit transition period. In quarantine here for 2 weeks, then have 10 days before we're off for good after 11 years. Husband was made redundant, which was the push we needed to get out.
    Good luck with your big life changes.
    kimwy66 likes this.

There seem to be quite a few companies doing this, has anyone tried one and found it ok?

Car is 14 years old, runs perfectly, but I can't see it being worth much to sell and time is limited.
    What car is it? Try putting it up on 28car. Lots of cars that age are marked as "sold" on the site so if it's a decent make/model someone will probably take it and you'll have a little cash to treat yourselves to something nice before leaving.

If the car has a valid road tax, just put it up on your local FB marketplace for a very attractive token price, I wouldn't advise to offer it for free, as people ' usually ' mess you around, when you do. Also make sure that the transfer of ownership is done at the Transport department with you there to see that it is done, so there are no surprises later on.
    kimwy66, chuckster007 and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    What car is it? Try putting it up on 28car. Lots of cars that age are marked as "sold" on the site so if it's a decent make/model someone will probably take it and you'll have a little cash to treat yourselves to something nice before leaving.
    Or post your car ad on Asian Expats too. 28car can also be good but sometimes have lots of pesky questions asked or nasty comments questioning the accuracy of the information posted.

Hi Kimwy, could you please PM me details about your car. I am currently looking for a cheap one to run errands. Thanks.

Skyhook, spode and kimwy66 like this.

Tesla

Should try to sell as there may be a market for people looking for old cars to "own" for a few months in order to trade in for a Tesla without the govt stamp duty.

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by uberbon:
    Should try to sell as there may be a market for people looking for old cars to "own" for a few months in order to trade in for a Tesla without the govt stamp duty.
    Cheers, husband has agreed we will advertise it. Stuck in quarantine at the moment and have no photos, but will list it on Geo classifieds next week.
    Skyhook likes this.

And now sold for 10k, was offered 3.5k for scrap, so result I guess. One less thing to worry about!