Like Tree39Likes

Tips on Driving?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    It's a huge issue. The amount of roundabout accidents I've seen over the past 4 years is staggering. There was a roundabout right outside my flat that had no traffic and yet people managed to crash into each other on numerous occasions.
    Umm...care to provide some stats to back up your claim? Roundabouts have proven to be safer in numerous peer-reviewed studies. I don't see any outcry from HK drivers about the "huge danger" of roundabouts. So I think that is your own personal opinion rather than established fact.

My own view is simple: Anyone who can't master a roundabout shouldn't be driving in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Umm...care to provide some stats to back up your claim? Roundabouts have proven to be safer in numerous peer-reviewed studies. I don't see any outcry from HK drivers about the "huge danger" of roundabouts. So I think that is your own personal opinion rather than established fact.

My own view is simple: Anyone who can't master a roundabout shouldn't be driving in HK.
    It's been discussed before, 167 accidents in single roundabout in Tai Wai. Nobody said that roundabouts aren't safe and nobody calls for their removal, but there's a misunderstanding in Hong Kong about their usage that leads to accidents. Hence the need to always check your blind spot when engaging in a lane change towards the outer lane. It's a thread asking for tips on driving afterall.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/418/thread348157.html

Nobody said that roundabouts aren't safe and nobody calls for their removal
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/418/thread348157.html
    If it was a huge issue, HK drivers would have an outcry over them. There aren't any calls to remove them. So its not huge issue as you claimed. The fact remains the vast majority of HK drivers have no issue going through them. And the number of accidents would probably be higher if we had 4 way stop at those intersection.

Of course there’s no outcry from HK drivers, they think it’s normal to drive on the inside lane, regardless of which exit they are going to take.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety...ts_/index.html

If you’ve driven in the UK, then you’ll know how bad drivers are on roundabouts in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Of course there’s no outcry from HK drivers, they think it’s normal to drive on the inside lane, regardless of which exit they are going to take.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety...ts_/index.html

If you’ve driven in the UK, then you’ll know how bad drivers are on roundabouts in HK.
    Of course there will be some bad drivers out there. But the situation is not that bad. I have driven in HK for 11 years and I have yet to encounter a serious crash on a roundabout (or observe one). And it would be worse with 4 way stops. Bottom line, exercise normal caution and alertness over roundabouts. But if you are trembling with fear over the prospect of driving through a roundabout, you should not be driving in HK...or own a car for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I have driven in HK for 11 years and I have yet to encounter a serious crash on a roundabout (or observe one).
    I've provided stats on a roundabout in Tai Wai, one accident almost every other day, and now you respond with anecdotal evidence. I suggest if you ask for stats, then you should also counter with stats.

No one is calling for 4 way stops. I'm suggesting being careful when exiting a roundabout. There's no debate here except the debate you seem to imagine that is happening in your head.
    ArrynField likes this.

No one is calling for 4 way stops. I'm suggesting being careful when exiting a roundabout. There's no debate here except the debate you seem to imagine that is happening in your head.
    I never said you are arguing for the removal of roundabouts, so I am not the one with imaginary arguments. You are saying roundabouts are a huge issue for anyone driving in HK. I am saying it is not. People just deal with them. If you are the one making the argument that HK drivers have a lot of accidents on roundabouts, the burden is on you to prove that, not me. You are only referring to one roundabout, that's not necessarily representative of every roundabout in this city.

Of course people should exercise precaution on roundabouts, that goes without saying. That is common sense. Why is that suppose to be so newsworthy or shocking? If someone is terrifed at the prospect of driving through a roundabout, sorry, they should not be driving in HK.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 14-09-2020 at 12:22 AM.
    Happy Guy likes this.

Here are some accident stats, if you’re interested in figures:-

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety..._by/index.html

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Here are some accident stats, if you’re interested in figures:-

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety..._by/index.html
    And that shows roundabouts have far fewer accidents (167 in total) compared to the other 4 way intersection (crossroads) with 1739 accidents.

Well this thread has gone off the rails and is stuck in a loop.

Roundabouts are neither difficult nor scary, they exist in Canada and Korea but usually out in the country side. They are rather novel for anyone who has no driving history using them with regularity.

From memory I will say they seem a bit small here compared to the English ones for the volume of traffic they're supposed to serve and I've observed they're often not used properly, where a dominant flow of traffic tends to take priority and others trying to get in are fully stopped. Defeating its purpose where there should be a constant flow with slowing and yielding from each direction.

Anyway enough about circles. If anyone could recommend a good in dash Android navi and dash cam with a few safety features and a good parts shop I'd appreciate it!