Like Tree39Likes

Tips on Driving?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I used to drive through these roundabouts everyday, fun n games with muppets, every couple of days there be a fender bender of muppets crashing into each other.

Nice compilation

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    No if I am wary of the ability of my driver or other drivers that’s a fact. An opinion is a point of view.

I don’t know how many roundabouts there are but the FACT is that there are many more junctions and intersections. In my OPINION my a massive factor.
    Yes, too much arrogance about who has right of way when it is the right of way to the driver on the right unless you are on the roundabout itself. So far, who I lived in HKG, I drove for 5 of those 6.5 yrs without incident - even got breathalysed at 8:30am one morning - of course, my views were filled with tea and fruit juice than booze. Despite what people tend to say about drivers in HKG, I found 99% to be courteous and reasonable drivers on the road. HKG is not the Middle East, which is like mentally take your last rites before hoping into your car. Taxis are the horn beepers, not the usual normal drivers. So keep calm and plan your journey. Don't rely solely upon a gps because knowing HKG, roadworks change direction especially in Kowloon, Central etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    But do roundabouts have the most crashes of intersections in HK is the key.
    That's not the key. It's the debate you're having with yourself.

People are simply saying that if the majority of drivers in Hong Kong followed these guidelines for roundabouts then roundabouts would be even safer than they're now.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety...ts_/index.html

There are plenty of drivers here that approach a completely empty two-lane roundabout on the left lane and then do a complete circle in the outer lane.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well you just mention you are afraid of HK drivers going on roundabouts no?
    I don't think its about that, but you do need to have your wits about you, the amount of times I have had fucknuts try two turn right from the left lane when I am in the right lane going straight where I have had to drop back ( luckily ) avoiding T boning them ! When I think back about it, it only happened a couple of times over 2 decades and instinctively learnt to drop back when someone was beside me on the roundabout as I had a feeling that's what they were going to do. You need to think like they are going to do it and always drive accordingly with that in mind in HK.

These days I don't think about it, but we've lived with roundabouts for about 40 years, they aren't a new idea or concept here or in Europe ( especially France and Belgium ) where circle points as they are known over there are just part of everyday driving life.

Basically a round about is the same rules ( usually as there are exceptions when sign posted otherwise) as a cross intersection in regard to the left lane which usually allow you to turn left or go straight, not cut accross the right lane to turn right from the left lane !

Apart from that, HK is mostly o.k and easy enough to drive around once you get familiar with where it is you're going. Also it's a good idea if you are using GPS to set it to prompt you a good deal earlier before the turn off as the turn offs come up all of a sudden some times where they use double lines, so if you are in the wrong lane you cant cross over. Once you get used to driving in HK you'll tend to use the GPS less often.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 15-09-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7