Like Tree39Likes

Tips on Driving?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question Tips on Driving?

So finally got a car and after a few days driving I've found it difficult to see the posted speed limits on most streets that aren't main arteries. And when they are posted there's a minuscule little sign the size of child's dinner plate that is easy to miss. Since the car already has an aftermarket touchscreen but no blue-tooth I want to replace it with an in dash navigation that can alert me to speed limits and cameras. Any recommendations? I found the one below on Ubuy, is that site reliable? Anywhere else to browse and buy them, SSP? Also need a dash cam and would like to find one that also has some lane departure, collision sensors.

ATOTO

Are there red light cameras at all intersections? What is the threshold for a ticket at those? I.E. if I get the yellow as I'm already at the stop line and pass through. Hoping there is not a flurry of tickets heading my way in the post!

I'd also like to do some basic maintenance as a hobby, as I've done in the past, where are good parts shops? I know there are some in Kwun Tong but hoping to find some near Taipo.

Lastly is there a good app or way to find out about parking in various places around town? I parked in a lot yesterday and found out by bumping into a friend while shopping that I I could get a stamp for a free hour, is that common at most shopping centres? I know Taipo mega-mall also does this for $500 spent, but there are a variety of parking places to choose from and I wonder if it's the same across the board?

Last edited by Cornmeal; 13-09-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    So finally got a car and after a few days driving I've found it difficult to see the posted speed limits on most streets that aren't main arteries. And when they are posted there's a minuscule little sign the size of child's dinner plate that is easy to miss. Since the car already has an aftermarket touchscreen but no blue-tooth I want to replace it with an in dash navigation that can alert me to speed limits and cameras. Any recommendations? I found this one on Ubuy, is that site reliable? Anywhere else to browse and buy them, SSP?

ATOTO

Are there red light cameras at all intersections? What is the threshold for a ticket at those? I.E. if I get the yellow as I'm already at the stop line and pass through. Hoping there is not a flurry of tickets heading my way in the post!

I'd also like to do some basic maintenance as a hobby, as I've done in the past, where are good parts shops? I know there are some in Kwun Tong but hoping to find some near Taipo.

Lastly is there a good app or way to find out about parking in various places around town? I parked in a lot yesterday and found out by bumping into a friend while shopping that I I could get a stamp for a free hour, is that common at most shopping centres? I know Taipo mega-mall also does this for $500 spent, but there are a variety of parking places to choose from and I wonder if it's the same across the board?
    The general law/regulation is this, if there is no posted speed limit on a particular road in HK, the speed limit is set at 50 km/h. That applies to most regular non-expressway roads. Although in practice cars will drive faster tham that in most cases on regular roads, depending on traffic conditions. Ubuy is alright as a seller of dash screens. I have heard of some issues with them before, but generally reasonably trust-worthy. Alternatively, you contact the manufacturer directly, through the hktdc website:

Hong Kong GPS Navigation For Cars Suppliers & Manufacturers | HKTDC

There aren't red light cameras at every intersection. But they do have it on some traffic light locations. Usually there is a noticeable orange camera right before the traffic light (usually slightly smaller or thinner than speed cameras). As for police busting you for speeding, generally points are deducted if you go 15 km/h over the limit. If you are speeding within 15 km of the limit, generally no points are deducted. The police may give allowances for speed tickets through cameras, so if you say you were caught speeding 16 or 17 km/h over the limit, the police may mark it down to 3 km to below 15/h km and you won't have points deducted.

Some dash screen navigation may offer parking spots too. Although parking has always been tricky and in short supply in HK (more cars than parking spots available as part of the government initiative to discourage car use). Another tricky thing with HK driving is getting on the right lane, as signages aren't that great and you can be stuck on the wrong lane on unfamiliar roads.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 13-09-2020 at 01:47 PM.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Deleted

While a GPS does help initially, I think it's much better to keep your eyes on the road and learn to navigate using signs and landmarks. As to the speed limit, as Coolboy pointed out, the limits are quite generous so unless you're going way faster than everyone else, don't worry about it too much.

Here's another tip, if you're unsure which lane to take, it's perfectly fine to slow down and change lanes when it's safe to do so even if it means you're coming to a complete stop. People are quite tolerant here and won't honk at you. Staying calm will help you avoid unnecessary risky behavior and prevent accidents. Also, when it comes to roundabouts always be prepared for drivers to not exit from the outside lane. Thus always check your left blind spot when exiting from the inner lane.

I parked in a lot yesterday and found out by bumping into a friend while shopping that I I could get a stamp for a free hour, is that common at most shopping centres? I know Taipo mega-mall also does this for $500 spent, but there are a variety of parking places to choose from and I wonder if it's the same across the board?

Most malls have some type of spend $$ = free hours parking.

Taipo MegaMall first hour is free.

Festival Walk has a great deal at the moment, spend $200 = 5 hours free parking - Monday - Sunday!
    Cornmeal and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    While a GPS does help initially, I think it's much better to keep your eyes on the road and learn to navigate using signs and landmarks. As to the speed limit, as Coolboy pointed out, the limits are quite generous so unless you're going way faster than everyone else, don't worry about it too much.

Here's another tip, if you're unsure which lane to take, it's perfectly fine to slow down and change lanes when it's safe to do so even if it means you're coming to a complete stop. People are quite tolerant here and won't honk at you. Staying calm will help you avoid unnecessary risky behavior and prevent accidents. Also, when it comes to roundabouts always be prepared for drivers to not exit from the outside lane. Thus always check your left blind spot when exiting from the inner lane.
    Thanks. Yes, I've always gotten to know the way by driving and not relied on GPS except when travelling in a new place (like the New Jersey turnpike), so I don't miss my turn off. The navi is mainly for the misses but speed trap warnings would be good, the ones in Korea were stellar and would bother you to no end until you slowed down.

Fine-wise I wouldn't call a $320 ticket for 1~15km over "generous", points-wise sure.

Yes, the roundabouts will take some getting used to as they're a first, as is driving on the left, however I've gotten used to it on my bike the last few years so it's not bad at all. People only seem to use horns here when traffic is at a standstill, but generally people are polite enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The general law/regulation is this, if there is no posted speed limit on a particular road in HK, the speed limit is set at 50 km/h. That applies to most regular non-expressway roads. Although in practice cars will drive faster tham that in most cases on regular roads, depending on traffic conditions. Ubuy is alright as a seller of dash screens. I have heard of some issues with them before, but generally reasonably trust-worthy. Alternatively, you contact the manufacturer directly, through the hktdc website:

Hong Kong GPS Navigation For Cars Suppliers & Manufacturers | HKTDC

There aren't red light cameras at every intersection. But they do have it on some traffic light locations. Usually there is a noticeable orange camera right before the traffic light (usually slightly smaller or thinner than speed cameras). As for police busting you for speeding, generally points are deducted if you go 15 km/h over the limit. If you are speeding within 15 km of the limit, generally no points are deducted. The police may give allowances for speed tickets through cameras, so if you say you were caught speeding 16 or 17 km/h over the limit, the police may mark it down to 3 km to below 15/h km and you won't have points deducted.

Some dash screen navigation may offer parking spots too. Although parking has always been tricky and in short supply in HK (more cars than parking spots available as part of the government initiative to discourage car use). Another tricky thing with HK driving is getting on the right lane, as signages aren't that great and you can be stuck on the wrong lane on unfamiliar roads.
    Thanks, I assumed it was 50km but wasn't sure. Agree that signs aren't where I'd expect them and easily blocked by a tall truck in front.
    Coolboy likes this.

Most modern car camera setups will announce fixed speed camera locations.

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Most malls have some type of spend $$ = free hours parking.

Taipo MegaMall first hour is free.

Festival Walk has a great deal at the moment, spend $200 = 5 hours free parking - Monday - Sunday!
    Thanks! I now see the 3 different ones marked as TPMM, and the one I'd wondered about was at Fortune Plaza which I see is different.

What about the Wetmarket? I can't quite read the details on street view on Ada's Parking, I can see $11 but there's a detailed smaller sign that is not in focus.

Any recommend mechanics in TP? I was told by the helpful young man at Man Kwong Tire that Mr. Chan at Yan On Auto centre is honest and wouldn't give me gweilo pricing. Unfortunately it was too busy for me to stop and talk with him so I gave up on doing maintenance and will check back on a week day. I'll likely book fluid and filter changes at Shell but plan on doing the next one myself in winter as it's too hot ATM.

Also still looking for good used or decent new tire place, tried Tyrehood in Fanling and the above but they didn't have the type in my size. Appreciate the info!

Also still looking for good used or decent new tire place, tried Tyrehood in Fanling and the above but they didn't have the type in my size. Appreciate the info!
    As mentioned in the other tyre thread:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/333/threa...ml#post3748961
    Cornmeal likes this.

Thanks! I now see the 3 different ones marked as TPMM, and the one I'd wondered about was at Fortune Plaza which I see is different.
    Tai Po Centre (Zone B) Car Park has the 1st hour free, not sure about the others.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast