Like Tree10Likes

Automall - experience?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I still managed to do 30,000 a year and now well over 250,000

For the real milage you can ask for proof, and if they don't have any means it's fake. This said, I would worry more about a car that just does 3000Km a year. A car need to be driven to stay in shape, although short distance drives are problematic too.
    Yes i didn't said that its not possible to do high mileage a year...but i still think a majority didn't do 30000 kms a year.
    Skyhook likes this.

there's quite a few cars here that have genuinely done 15km per week their whole life... I looked at an audi q3 a couple of years back that was a 0 owner 7 year old car with under 4000kms on it and service records every 6 months that stacked up. but they seemed to want to ignore it being 7 years old despite the short journey wear and tear and the 7 years of climate attacking it and wouldn't take a sensible price.

I wish they'd just leave the mileage alone... 120k kms really isn't that much but its as high as I've ever seen an odometer here!

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    there's quite a few cars here that have genuinely done 15km per week their whole life...
    Sure, that is very possible too. I bought a 5 year old car that had 17,000Km on the meter. After we fixed the deal I couldn't buy it right away, had to arrange parking (my spot was rented out, hat to get it back, then vacation). Anyway, after I got 6 weeks later or so It just added the drive to me. No other driving.

Problems started later. The tires got hard and started to disintegrate. Large parts of rubber flow away, you know, those parts you see frequently on tolo highway. Various rubber gaskets broke. Just be aware when you get a very low milage car.

Generally, WYSIWYG and I wouldn't believe anything the sales people tell you. Hence 28car etc. is basically same. Or you go directly to place that have a good name that they don't want to lose, maybe Zung Fu or similar.
    Last edited by flameproof; 18-12-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    please don’t argue with me on this considering one of my company’s in HK was in the car trade for over 20 years.

Ive forgotten more than you will ever know, in regards to this subject. And you aren’t talking from any professional experience either. So please put your sausage fingers away from the keyboard.

that’s a good boy :-)
    Now who is trolling here?

I've owned a few cars in HK, most of them second-hand. I know a few good mechanics and spoken to many dealers. I know what I am talking about. Not all cars in HK are clocked. Not all mechanics refused to check the mileage. Could many cars be clocked? Sure. Could a lot of the mechanics refuse to check the validity of the mileage? Sure. But not in all cases.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 18-12-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Another important trick I discovered in the UAE is to check the tires looking for the manufactured date, All tires will have them. Tires are usually replaced after 50k kms. So for example a two year old car should have the original tires. Check the date on the tires