Like Tree16Likes

Can you go to prison if you forgot to renew insurance, vehicle license and minor speeding?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you go to prison if you forgot to renew insurance, vehicle license and minor speeding?

To all car owners, I recently forgot to renew my vehicle license and insurance and only found out when I got flashed by a speed camera. I’m told that because these are three offenses I broke that I will need to go to prison? I thought I just needed to ask court for leniency to avoid suspension of license Any advise here or is it really that severe?

Don't drop the soap

aw451, jimbo, ArrynField and 4 others like this.

It's up to a judge to decide, but I think at least a suspension is probable:

https://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/co...d_to_insurance

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxsniper:
    To all car owners, I recently forgot to renew my vehicle license and insurance and only found out when I got flashed by a speed camera. I’m told that because these are three offenses I broke that I will need to go to prison? I thought I just needed to ask court for leniency to avoid suspension of license Any advise here or is it really that severe?
    OP, how did you manage to forget to renew your vehicle license plus your insurance and the speed limit?!!!! Now I've heard of folks forgetting one of the three, thats not all that unusual, but to forget all three????

Have you considered the possiblity that you aren't suited for driving?

Is simple because the vehicle license and insurance are normally renewed at same time. You need the insurance to renew licenses.

shri and TheBrit like this.

is it really that severe?
    Yes.

I had a colleague that left HK because of a similar combination of offences.

Suspension of your driving license and a few fines will probably be about right... you're probably more likely to go to court than you are to be arrested/serve time.

I think an important consideration is how long your license has been expired for. If not for long then I don't think it'll be a big deal.

shri and Fenix2 like this.

Is simple because the vehicle license and insurance are normally renewed at same time. You need the insurance to renew licenses.
    But I haven't heard of a lot of folks forgetting to do both.

Imagine your vehicle collided with a bus that then crashed off a flyover ...that is why 3rd party insurance is so necessary
    Do you have previous speeding convictions in the past 2 years? this will affect he sentence

The Govt even remind you in plenty of time in case you need an MOT Cert:

Sent: Thursday, 13 February 2020 12:27 am
    To: subscriber
    Subject: Your Vehicle Licence will expire in 4 months

Dear Subscriber,

Your Vehicle Licence with Registration Mark XXXXXX will expire in 4 months. You can now renew your Vehicle Licence at the Transport Department before it expires on 12-06-2020.

To renew your Vehicle Licence, you may either:
    1. Apply online at http://www.gov.hk/renewvl;
    2. Submit the application by post; or
    3. Apply in person at our licensing offices

Required documents include address proof (full list) and vehicle registration document duly signed and stamped with company chop (if applicable) which should be identical with that on the form.

For details, you may visit the Transport Department’s website at http://www.td.gov.hk or contact 1823.

With the GovHK online services, you can apply for renewal of vehicle licence in a more easier and convenient way at any time and any place. You can also save your travelling expenses and queuing time at the licensing offices of the Transport Department and help conserve environment. Now ready with your valid digital certificate issued by recognized certification authority to apply via GovHK.

To apply for the Hongkong Post Certification Authority e-Cert, you can visit the following web page: http://www.hongkongpost.gov.hk/produ...rtapply.html#1

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast