Like Tree10Likes

Local garage inspection charges

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Local garage inspection charges

I sought to decline a quote from a local garage but was asked to pay $800 of inspection charge if I wanted my car back. Is that normal?

More annoyingly I was given a lot of BS and the problem remains unresolved after I got the car back.

If it is an inspection charge, doubt they fixed the problem.

Or was that added onto your "BS" bill?

rs4 likes this.

Well do you want them to check your car and spend time on it for FREE??

You got your car back so i assumed you paid the 800? or paid the full quote to fix what they quoted and its still not fixed properly??

rs4 likes this.

Lawyers in NZ, mechanics in HK, will nobody work for free now?

Only advice on geoexpat is free. And it’s good quality sometimes / often

rs4 and bak875 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vh-eba:
    I sought to decline a quote from a local garage but was asked to pay $800 of inspection charge if I wanted my car back. Is that normal?

More annoyingly I was given a lot of BS and the problem remains unresolved after I got the car back.

If you can be kind enough to answer. Can I ask, what, make, model and year car it is and what symptoms your car is displaying ? What's it doing or not doing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    If you can be kind enough to answer. Can I ask, what, make, model and year car it is and what symptoms your car is displaying ? What's it doing or not doing ?
    Based on previous posts:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/333/threa...ml#post3562636

I run a 6-y.o. BMW that is used to stop-start traffic in Hong Kong.

Would you guys stick with 5,000km or 6 month service interval or just wait for iDrive to prompt?

Would you have tranny fluid and coolant flushed together with the oil change? ?
    Skyhook likes this.

The shops in the US (only country where I have owned cars) charge "diagnostic testing" but are totally upfront with the charge, clearly posted and all that. If they need to do more to sort out what the problem is, they will call to get authorization. This way you know in advance what you're getting into...

Quote Originally Posted by vh-eba:

The mechanic spent time to diagnose you car. There was also an opportunity cost to him in that that time could have been spent doing other work for a paying customer. So he should have provided you with a repair/maintanence estimate and possibly the diagnostic fee could be fully or partially offset. You elected not to proceed. Is the mechanic supposed to spend all day giving free estimates? I think US $100 is about fair for what you paid and what you got.
    dfc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    The mechanic spent time to diagnose you car. There was also an opportunity cost to him in that that time could have been spent doing other work for a paying customer. So he should have provided you with a repair/maintanence estimate and possibly the diagnostic fee could be fully or partially offset. You elected not to proceed. Is the mechanic supposed to spend all day giving free estimates? I think US $100 is about fair for what you paid and what you got.
    I am no longer surprized by people seeking others to work for nothing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast