Like Tree109Likes

Guilty until proven innocent

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Can you hire a lawyer? I think - if they lose - they pay the legal fees.

Based on what you've said, it's pretty hard to be proven guilty of wrongdoing when there has been no damage. Generally speaking, there needs to be injured/aggrieved party in order to violate the law and if there is any evidence, it appears to be hearsay and circumstantial anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    Can you hire a lawyer? I think - if they lose - they pay the legal fees.

Based on what you've said, it's pretty hard to be proven guilty of wrongdoing when there has been no damage. Generally speaking, there needs to be injured/aggrieved party in order to violate the law and if there is any evidence, it appears to be hearsay and circumstantial anyways.
    Hardly worth hiring a lawyer over this case. I still do not know what the plea guilty fine is. I assume it will be less than 1k. I am just angry how a petty and mentally deranged person can complain into getting his way. I am curious if this case closed and proven innocent, can I sue this person for false accusations?

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I am curious if this case closed and proven innocent, can I sue this person for false accusations?
    Precisely why it might not be a bad idea to hire a lawyer - they can probably advise there. However, I don't know what happens with legal fees if you hire a lawyer and the police suddenly drop their case.

It's not about the monetary damages or fines but it would be good to teach them a lesson or two about how to behave a decent human being.

shouldn't they have sent you all the evidence first..otherwise how can you plead?

Ask for all the evidence and you can get 45 minutes free legal advice from HK lawyers who offer the free legal advice scheme.

This is not legal aid but its free.

Best call them up. You can meet face to face or on telephone...
    https://lawdirectory.hklawsoc.org.hk...l-Consultation

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    shouldn't they have sent you all the evidence first..otherwise how can you plead?

Ask for all the evidence and you can get 45 minutes free legal advice from HK lawyers who offer the free legal advice scheme.

This is not legal aid but its free.

Best call them up. You can meet face to face or on telephone...
    https://lawdirectory.hklawsoc.org.hk...l-Consultation
    Thanks mate!

I received 1) letter from police concluding their investigation with offense: careless driving ; 2) court date for next month to attend Kowloon court

No details/evidence is provided from police regarding their investigation or supporting reason behind the offense.

I spend a few hours reviewing Careless driving records on LegalREF website. So far, all cases institute some physical damage, accident, pedestrian hit, etc.

Non of the cases I found were remotely close to my case where no car to car contact was made...

If I hire a Lawyer, I can safely assume the money will be out of my own pocket regardless of the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I am just angry how a petty and mentally deranged person can complain into getting his way. I am curious if this case closed and proven innocent, can I sue this person for false accusations?
    Unfortunately for meaningful amounts of money, there is no real access legal remedies for the average person in Hong Kong.

In cases that require the High Court (>$3 million) for example, a barrister is required, as solicitors have limited rights of audience in the court. The barrister is likely to cost around $50k for the first day, and around $20k/day thereafter.

The barrister cannot take instructions from you, so you still need a solicitor to instruct the barrister. Add on another few thousand an hour there. All this excludes the actual court costs, which seems cheap by comparison.

I recall there being talk of solicitors being given more authority in the High Court, but not sure if anything has happened on that front. I am not a lawyer.

For cases under $3 million, the District Court can handle the case and the barrister can be avoided, but the costs are still likely to be substantial.

Unlike the US, UK, Australia, fees contingent on the case outcome are illegal in HK under the law of champerty, thus removing access to the courts for the majority of the population.
    shri, seirin and hongkong7 like this.

Dont plead guilty to Careless Driving for no reason if you are not at any fault. The next time u end up in traffic court that old careless driving record will come back to bite you in the ass i speak from experience lol

Fight the fucker who is wasting your time. Once your case is proved you are not at fault then you sue that fucker for wasting your time and effort. You should file a complaint with the Police as well for wasting your time when you showed them and the police that had arrived during the actual so called crash that there was never a crash/accident. The crazy fucker wasted Police time as well.

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Dont plead guilty to Careless Driving for no reason if you are not at any fault. The next time u end up in traffic court that old careless driving record will come back to bite you in the ass i speak from experience lol

Fight the fucker who is wasting your time. Once your case is proved you are not at fault then you sue that fucker for wasting your time and effort. You should file a complaint with the Police as well for wasting your time when you showed them and the police that had arrived during the actual so called crash that there was never a crash/accident. The crazy fucker wasted Police time as well.
    Both the officers at the scene said no accident to be reported... They knew clearly the other driver was being a twat. Just my usual luck to run into crazy fucks.

That careless driving could turn into a case of a lifetime of physio and other damages... DO FIND OUT what the basis of the charge is and if the other person is claiming damaged property or injuries etc.

A civil case could follow once yih are guilty of careless driving.

Pointless to plead guilty until you know what the extent of the charges are.

Also what the cops said on the scene is meaningless in my opinion.. What they recorded in the statement and what they used to build the case is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That careless driving could turn into a case of a lifetime of physio and other damages... DO FIND OUT what the basis of the charge is and if the other person is claiming damaged property or injuries etc.

A civil case could follow once yih are guilty of careless driving.

Pointless to plead guilty until you know what the extent of the charges are.

Also what the cops said on the scene is meaningless in my opinion.. What they recorded in the statement and what they used to build the case is more important.
    yea.. I wouldnt be surprised if the fuckers end game is to try and pull of injury claim afterwards.

I didnt inform my insurance yet, since there was no actual report/case made at time of incident (back in FEB). I better inform them soon to avoid any unwanted issues...
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast