Like Tree28Likes

Alleged minor accident

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Alleged minor accident

Hi everyone, today I was involved in a very, very minor 'accident' (alleged). I was parallel parking and saw I was too close to the car behind. I moved forward at a snails pace. Then, the lady in the car parked in front jumped out and accused me of hitting the back of the car. She stared at me as I repeatedly said in English "Show me where." I got out and she pointed at a black speck. It was just that, a speck. She had four other specks dotted at the back of her car. I pointed this out to her and she said that I caused the one speck that she was pointing at. She called the police.

The police came and inspected and I could see and hear them say to each other it's just a small speck WTF. The lady was speaking Canto and I heard her say to the cops, "If he's innocent, why didn't he just walk off? He stayed because he did something wrong" and "If he had just said sorry I would have let it go." First of all, her first statement is the most idiotic/stupid statement I've ever heard. Her second statement is just as stupid. I don't think I need to explain the stupidity of both statements to any reasonable person reading this.

Anyway, I made a statement saying that I didn't feel anything because I didn't hit her. The cops passed it onto the traffic police who will contact me for a statement.

Now, about a month ago I was reading a thread here about some people who have gotten into accidents that they believed were minor. They didn't contact their insurance company and about a year or two later, received a letter through their post from a sh*tbag lawyer saying their client has suffered personal injury and they are going to sue. Even though it's just a speck, I don't trust this bi*ch and want to cover my own back. Any advice on what I should do? Should I call my insurance company and let them know what happened and give them the reference number?

The police were talking to her a lot more than me due to the language barrier. I don't trust the police. When they asked me to make a statement, I wrote down exactly what happened and said I didn't hit her car. I asked for a copy of my statement which they initially refused. They then said that if I signed the statement I could take a picture.

Thanks for any advice. I know I am in the right, but this is HK where a lot of c*nts will make up sh*t to line their own pockets, so I just want to protect myself.

So...why don't you trust the police and why should anybody be trusting you?

I had a case like this in the US, the guy wanted like 2000 USD (about 30 years ago a lot of money). I just reported it to my insurance company, nothing ever happened.

Mart1983 and Paxbritannia like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I know. It was a very general comment. I should say, it was one officer who I felt was untrustworthy. Two officers came first who were fine. The third officer came later. He spoke to me in Canto and I replied in English. As soon as I did, he went 'Ahhhhh,' and walked away. The rest of the time he was just talking to the lady and when I looked over a few times, I got an uncomfortable feeling, hence the distrust of that one officer.

Thanks for your earlier reply, big help!
    Last edited by Mart1983; 27-05-2021 at 03:48 PM.

You're right not to 'trust' the police (the system they represent). The system is set up to allow people to make accusations, groundless or otherwise without any consequences for their lies.

There is no 'wasting police time' and people can make limitless complaints, without you having any recourse other than civil litigation - It's badly fucked up.

The language barrier means you're always at a significant disadvantage. Petty twats with chips on their shoulder with nothing better to do can waste vast amounts of your time and give you very large amounts of stress without any legal justification at all.

Skyhook likes this.

I will remember that in the future. Thank you!

Making a false statement to the police is an offence. Maybe you should file a report alleging that this crazy woman committed that crime just to tie up more resources and have them harass her a bit.

hike likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Wrong, not true in practice.

"Either you agree to this just being a disagreement and sign my notebook, or we'll arrest you and take you to the station to investigate"

Do you know how much your lawyer will charge to come out to the polices station and coach you through the formal process of making no statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Wrong, not true in practice.

"Either you agree to this just being a disagreement and sign my notebook, or we'll arrest you and take you to the station to investigate"

Do you know how much your lawyer will charge to come out to the polices station and coach you through the formal process of making no statement?
    This crossed my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Making a false statement to the police is an offence. Maybe you should file a report alleging that this crazy woman committed that crime just to tie up more resources and have them harass her a bit.

Why don't you go through the court records and see how how many convictions you can find for making false statements and see if you can find ANY for people who are not convicted of another crime.

People threaten (and do) call the police all the time in HK because there is no downside (other than their time spent) and significant upside - It is the person the complaint is made against who is treated as the criminal in most cases.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast