Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By ByeByeEngland
  • 1 Post By happy_camper

Experience of Diesel car owners

Closed Thread

Experience of Diesel car owners

Hello gearheads, I had a few questions regarding diesel cars here in HK so would appreciate if anyone could share their experience?

- Does diesel fuel offer any cost advantages compared to petrol? Every brand seems to have discounts for petrol but I haven't seen the same for Diesel (or maybe didn't pay enough attention).
    - Does the additional low-down torque help with the driving around the hilly terrain?
    - Do diesels have more expensive maintenance compared to petrol engines (yes, I understand that this is a rather broad question as it demands on the brand of the car, but I've never owned a non-petrol before so wasn't sure if they require anything more than the regular oil/filter changes)?
    - A lot of the diesel cars are mostly in the SUV category, is it difficult going around town in a larger sized vehicle given how small spaces are in HK?
    - Does the fuel efficiency put them close to hybrids?

Appreciate insights from anyone who's run a diesel for a while in HK.

I had an old 2.5L Pajero only 90bhp and loved it. Way more fuel efficient than petrol, and I had 35" M&S tires.

Diesel engines last a hell of a lot longer as well BUT if something does go wrong with the engine they are more expensive to fix (but this rarely happens).

If you get something with good BHP should be fine, with mine I had to drop down to 1st when fully loaded to get up super steep mtn but I also drove it up a jeep trail over snow to 1000m in 4wd low no problem.

I now drive a Subaru SUV here, it's really only a few inches wider and longer than an Elantra but parking is tight sometimes, otherwise it's fine driving around, even in the narrow village roads. I like the higher view for seeing ahead in traffic.

https://www.caranddriver.com/researc...l-vs-gasoline/

Last edited by Cornmeal; 03-07-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Because LPG in private cars is illegal. You can't register them. And they are not clean, CNG would be clean, in fact taxis in China mostly run in CNG.

Diesel is cheaper than petrol. I have no idea about the discounts. In theory they are more more fuel efficient, but in HK this is compensated by having only large cars. No VW Gold or Smart Diesel.

I doubt that modern diesel cars run longer. That myth probably comes from Mercedes 200D from the 70s and 80s. Modern diesel cars have way more power. Note also that annual registration tax is higher for diesel.

Germany is a big diesel country, but I know that Mercedes had trouble in the US because US diesel is of much lower quality. They probably have fixed that though.

IMHO HK is the perfect place to go electric.
    hike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eterrestrial32:
    Hello gearheads, I had a few questions regarding diesel cars here in HK so would appreciate if anyone could share their experience?

- Does diesel fuel offer any cost advantages compared to petrol? Every brand seems to have discounts for petrol but I haven't seen the same for Diesel (or maybe didn't pay enough attention).
    - Does the additional low-down torque help with the driving around the hilly terrain?
    - Do diesels have more expensive maintenance compared to petrol engines (yes, I understand that this is a rather broad question as it demands on the brand of the car, but I've never owned a non-petrol before so wasn't sure if they require anything more than the regular oil/filter changes)?
    - A lot of the diesel cars are mostly in the SUV category, is it difficult going around town in a larger sized vehicle given how small spaces are in HK?
    - Does the fuel efficiency put them close to hybrids?

Appreciate insights from anyone who's run a diesel for a while in HK.

Having owned turbo diesel in France and now in Australia, I've always preferred them over their petrol equivalent for the exception of a couple of direct injected petrol examples that VW/Audi/Skoda offer which offer similar fuel efficiency to a diesel ie the TSI 1.4 in the VW golf which gets great fuel economy and torque mated to the 7speed direct sequential gearbox. You'll get 1000km highway cycle from its 55litre fuel tank. and around 750km in city peak hour traffic per tank.

A two litre turbo diesel VW will give you 1200km highway cycle or around 900km city cycle use, which is easily achievable if you live in Europe or Australia where you have access to lots of fast highway's where you can cruise your car at 110kph for 1 hour or more runs when the Diesel Particulate Filter light, lights up on the dash and you need to do a min 20 minute sustained 100kph run on the freeway to do a DPF Clean burn every now and again. If you don't do this often enough, you will clog up the DPF ( which cost around $4500AUD ) to replace when they're fucked from being clogged up constantly in low speed city traffic plus it blocks up the EGR valve as they never get hot enough for long enough to vent properly into the combustion chamber.

So if you had a 55 minute drive from Sai Kung to HKIA/HKBAC/Lantau, lets say 3 return runs each week, on top of your regular low speed city driving, then yes a modern DPF equipped Turbo diesel will pay dividends as you will be able to sit on the freeway at 110kph for at least 20/30minutes sustained when the DPF lights up for you to do a DPF burn purge. If however you are only going to do short low speed 70kph or lower speed city driving majority of the time, modern diesel cars just wont like that sort of duty cycle and you would be much better off with a direct injected petrol engined car with a 7 speed tranny, in my experienced opinion.

Alternatively as much as I love modern turbo charged diesel engined cars thanks to their torquey effortless power delivery and their usually sub 5 litre per 100km fuel efficiency ( SUV's use 8 litres or more due to their hefty weight and brick like aerodynamics ) so I would always go for a much more athletic and lower to ground diesel sedan based wagon, because they handle substantially better, tyre sizes are less expensive, you also use noticeably less fuel and you actually gain more cabin/cargo space compared to a SUV.

Hong Kong, unless you are doing a minimum of 3 55 minute return drives that include at least 30 minutes of that on the freeway each way, per week, I would steer clear of any modern Turbo Diesel passenger car that is equipped with a DPF and EGR, as you wont be able to get the car up to operational temperature and for to do its DPF purge burn cycle often enough, which WILL cause you no end of inconvenience in the city.

Not much choice in HK for diesel sedans in Hong Kong, I think Peugeot had a 308/9 diesel wagon sold in HK and of course Mazda 6 are available in twin turbo charged diesel, which are quite a nice drive. But if you are looking at buying brand new, a Model 3 Tesla is about the same price at $300ish thousand HKD so keeping that in mind, these days, I would definitely get a Tesla, which in my opinion is the perfect car for HK.
    Performance is unrivalled by any liquid fuelled alternative and from my experiences with the model 3 it feels very VW golf like in how it feels and behaves on the road but achieves it so quietly, smoothly and with that signature addictive linear power delivery.

Test drive a Tesla Model 3 and you wont want anything else after you do, but HK is a bit of a PITA to have your own super charger installed where your car is parked privately unless you own a village house or have access to a charger at work that you can reliably use while at work. I think the electric car tends to work a LOT better in western countries that have a good Tesla Super Charger network .coverage and the ability to have a tesla 3 phz super charger installed in ones private home garage, then its just so very easy.

So my advice in short.

If you have the money to buy a Tesla model 3 and live in a property where you can park and charge it at home properly, then all good.

If you cant and you are looking for second hand cars, then:

Get a 2015 Mazda 6 Twin Turbo diesel sedan, as they're a very nice drive, but only get one if you do 3 long sustained drives a week that includes at least 20/30 minutes of sustained 100kph highway driving.

If you are mainly doing short distance trips and mainly in the city etc ( remember that HK has a majority of low speed limit roads that are 70kph or less ) Then I'd get either a petrol VW Golf 1.4TSI ( GT) 7 speed DSG or a Golf GTI 7 speed of no older than 5 years old. I'd probably lean toward the GTI Golf, having owned one in HK it's the perfect size and fun to drive ie rewarding.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 04-07-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    ByeByeEngland, emx and garychopper like this.

Marvellous piece of advice Skyhook. It took me a while to understand why diesel is cheaper than petrol here when I first arrived after years of having bad for the environment rammed down my throat.

I don’t a car in HK but I’m a bit of a car nut (certainly not a petrol head expert). My last car in the UK was a Civic TD and I loved it ranking second only to the two Imprezzas I had prior to that. So pleased Suburu dispensed with that ridiculous idea of trying to compete in the wrong market.

Neither of those are suitable for HK but diesel, for the reasons you stated, would be out of the question. Fuel economy wouldn’t be a factor for me. How I’d love to take a Scooby out for a weekend across the NT!

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Marvellous piece of advice Skyhook. It took me a while to understand why diesel is cheaper than petrol here when I first arrived after years of having bad for the environment rammed down my throat.

I don’t a car in HK but I’m a bit of a car nut (certainly not a petrol head expert). My last car in the UK was a Civic TD and I loved it ranking second only to the two Imprezzas I had prior to that. So pleased Suburu dispensed with that ridiculous idea of trying to compete in the wrong market.

Neither of those are suitable for HK but diesel, for the reasons you stated, would be out of the question. Fuel economy wouldn’t be a factor for me. How I’d love to take a Scooby out for a weekend across the NT!
    I reckon you'd really like a 2018 ( onwards ) 310hp stock AWD VW Golf R Wolfsburg edition, even better with a REVO tune and turbo upgrade, giving you another 140HP ! Totally a wolf in sheeps clothing and seriously fun performance and what is quite a rare car in HK. Arnold Schwarzeneger wearing a Saville Rowe suit, instead of a Chav in a synthetic track suit.

Last edited by Skyhook; 04-07-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I reckon you'd really like a 2018 ( onwards ) 310hp stock AWD VW Golf R Wolfsburg edition, even better with a REVO tune and turbo upgrade, giving you another 140HP ! Totally a wolf in sheeps clothing and seriously fun performance and what is quite a rare car in HK. Arnold Schwarzeneger wearing a Saville Rowe suit, instead of a Chav in a synthetic track suit.

ha I’m no Chav. I got hooked on Scoobys ever since I won the individual time trial at PalmerSport with one by a country mile. The instructor told me I would win on the 3rd and final timed run if I listened to him. Essentially I didn’t touch the brakes once on the entire final run. We’d go flying past a braking cone and as soon as I took my foot of the gas he’d scream at me gas gas gas! Happy days!

Palmer was actually there himself that year for the day and the presentation. Much to my surprise he was a really nice guy. Whether that was because of the corporate ££££ Who knows

Thanks for the feedback all around. I would have definitely liked to consider electric but I'm not really looking for a brand new car, and given their recent introduction, there's hardly any second hand electrics worth looking at in the market. What got me thinking was seeing quite a number of Kia Sorentos around which seems to be a smallish size for a 7 seater with a diesel powerplant. Not exactly sure what the mileage on that car is as I'm currently driving a hybrid which gives around 20kmpl on most tanks. Driving on highways is the norm since I live out in the New Territories so any trip to the office or anywhere towards Kowloon/HK Island means well in excess of 50 km of driving so fuel efficiency is definitley a factor for whatever I decide on getting next.