Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckster007

Used car market

Closed Thread

Used car market

I hadn't looked for a while but I see that the amount of expat and BNO departure fire sales have really knocked the bottom out of the market. Meanwhile in the UK the market is booming given the amount of money saved in lockdown and short supply of new cars. It's got me wondering if there's money to be made exporting cars from HK to UK... it would be pretty mad if so, but looking around I think I'd get no more than HKD25-30k for my car in HK while it would be worth at least GBP8-9k in the UK, maybe more as the HK spec is higher than anything I can see being sold locally. I guess shipping rates probably neutralise it but only just!

I looked into this before. The hassle, taxes, transport fees seem to defeat the efforts.

Newer cars are essentially the same price in both UK and HK.

Older cheaper cars are not worth the money because of many reasons. Maintenance cost, SAME Road tax as a newer car, same parking rates etc.

It seems to make more sense to own a 300k car with 10k monthly expenses vs a 30k car and 10k monthly expenses + repairs.

The cost of container space has increased 900% (probably over exaggerated) apparently said one of my import/export mates who ships clothing to UK from China. so good luck trying to make a quick profit

JAherbert likes this.