Like Tree35Likes

Does buying a Tesla make sense in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Does buying a Tesla make sense in HK?

Hi all,

I am currently looking for a car and am wondering if EV is the right direction (with the possibility of a car such as a [Hybrid] Prius not completely off the table). If so what could be recommended for a reasonable price. I am also considering used Teslas. This would also be my first car purchased in Hong Kong. I have previously bought one and rented many others in the States but I understand the car buying climate is a bit different in Hong Kong. I have also aquatinted myself with the annual licensing system (and the ≥%100 initial car tax).

Other questions I have are:

What are the logistics of recharging? How much and for how long?

I have heard of superchargers in malls and what not, and I assume they're where everyone goes, if so do you have to book a reservation of some sort or is it first come first serve in which case what is the line usually?

What would the yearly savings over a gas guzzler be (e.g. Volvo XC40)?

Many Thanks,
    Box3d

P.S. If you're wondering why I don't directly ask Tesla I first want to consult the community to get perspectives that a Tesla salesperson might not provide. Any extra/other information about Teslas in Hong Kong would be useful. Thanks again.

Really depends on how much you use your car.

The insurance premium is quite a hike for most people who have large discounts. Also.. if you are not trading in on the 1-for-1 even the used cars might be at a premium.

Seems like there are plenty of chargers.. but they are dealing with a growing fleet of cars. The way to go from what I can see is to use the free home charger installation provided with new Teslas.. assuming u own or your landlord and building allow the charger to be installed. The govt has some subsidy plans for wall charger installs.

Have not looked at the charging rates at the Super chargers and compared mileage yet...

derektom, emx and jdf21st like this.

Quote Originally Posted by box3d:
    What would the yearly savings over a gas guzzler be (e.g. Volvo XC40)?
    You would be spending about 60% less, even when you factor in the higher insurance premiums.

Low vehicle license fee (~$1000) per year.

Charging is way cheaper than petrol, even if you have to for it (plenty of free charging places).

Example: Off Peak Tesla supercharger to fill a Model 3 is about 85 hkd = 420+ km.

Model 3 SR has 54Kw battery

Maintenance costs are next to nil when compared to petrol cars (fill the washer bottle and rotate tires).

There are plenty of other non Tesla EV available which have "normal" insurance premiums.
    Last edited by shri; 19-08-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    shri, derektom and jdf21st like this.

Especially if you can install your own charger, Tesla is the way to go. I got a Tesla in late 2015 and couldn’t be happier with it. Still runs like new and I’m still receiving software updates that improve the car. So fun to drive. I was able to get a charger (Tesla wall charger which came with the car) installed so I charge up everyday and each morning am fully charged up. Even if you can’t install your own charger, charging options from Tesla and 3rd parties are improving.

emx likes this.

If you want to reduce greenhouse gases then in HK it’s marginal as all HK electricity from burning fossil fuels.

Charging options seem to improve (our former residence accommodated charging points in car park, although not cheap).

Why go for a Tesla? Some good tech but since when has US ever designed cars better than Europe?

Taycan spanks it every way, winning all the awards.

Why go for a Tesla? Some good tech but since when has US ever designed cars better than Europe?
    If you are an engineering or sciencey nerd like me.. Watch a YouTube channel called Munro Live. These guys tear down tesla and other EV down to the last tube and bolt and explain the engineering in far too much detail.

Bottom line - Tesla is far ahead of euro / legacy manufactures since they did not have to deal with legacies - parts, practises, suppliers, manufacturing facilities and dealer infrastructures.

In the mid range esp when you look at the Y.. They are several years ahead of the legacy car manufacturers.

Summary from a recent Bloomberg interview of Sandy Munroe... (I am a convert..)

https://youtu.be/paU6RWZiT-U
    emx, Skyhook and jdf21st like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdf21st:
    Taycan spanks it every way, winning all the awards.
    Which Tesla are you comparing the Taycan against?

Driving a Tesla is fine...within HK, range generally won't be an issue, unlike those who want to go on a long road trip in North America or Europe. What might be an issue is the charging time, that can take a while.

Also, you better hope you never get in an accident on a Tesla, because the cost of replacing Tesla parts are really $$$. A minor fender bender that one may consider paying out of their own pocket for a gasoline car (to avoid making an insurance claim and have the premium jacked up against you), you will most likely have to make a claim with your insurance if your car is a Tesla, because even minor dent and scratches cost an insane amount to repair for a Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Driving a Tesla is fine...within HK, range generally won't be an issue, unlike those who want to go on a long road trip in North America or Europe. What might be an issue is the charging time, that can take a while.

Also, you better hope you never get in an accident on a Tesla, because the cost of replacing Tesla parts are really $$$. A minor fender bender that one may consider paying out of their own pocket for a gasoline car (to avoid making an insurance claim and have the premium jacked up against you), you will most likely have to make a claim with your insurance if your car is a Tesla, because even minor dent and scratches cost an insane amount to repair for a Tesla.
    The insurance premiums are high in HK only because local drivers here are hopeless.

Tesla insurance premiums in other parts of the world are similar to other cars in class.
    Coolboy and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    The insurance premiums are high in HK only because local drivers here are hopeless.

Tesla insurance premiums in other parts of the world are similar to other cars in class.
    Yeah, but I'm talking about the inherent repair cost for a Tesla, that cost $$$ way more than a comparable gasoline car in HK.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 21-09-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    jdf21st and Baklava like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast