Like Tree28Likes

Tesla Model Y/3: Tips for Owners / HK Specific Info

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Do you share your phone hotspot / wifi with the car? And did you accidentally download a firmware update while the car was connected to your phone hotspot?

The phone is BT connected but no Hotspot. I am not sure where the car updates (3 already) come from. At home the car logs always to the home wifi. The Tesla App draw only 11Mb so far.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:
    The phone is BT connected but no Hotspot. I am not sure where the car updates (3 already) come from. At home the car logs always to the home wifi. The Tesla App draw only 11Mb so far.
    As far as I know the BT connection should not consume data or upgrades via the phone.

How is your music connected? Via Phone or Via Spotify? May be excessive music downloads have increased the day?

We stream music via spotify on the phone using BT to the car using the phone connection. On the phone spotify tends to be pretty efficient in terms of caching / downloading playlists... not sure how efficient the native spotify app is on the Tesla..

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    As far as I know the BT connection should not consume data or upgrades via the phone.

How is your music connected?
    That's the TuneIn android app and plays some radio stations. That used also >1Gb

@happy_camper - you might be better off paying the $68HKD for premium connectivity at this rate. For us, we have a 20+GB family package from China mobile and always have 4-5GB spare so the car usage is insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The Christmas update is pretty good. Includes a very useful feature which turns on the side camera depending in the turn signal, for blind spot coverage.

Plus some minor tweaks..

Plus a bunch of games which rhe Transport Department will not allow
    i had a fun time with the lightshow - quite awesome how the headlights can flash "TESLA"! a couple things i find bad:

- practical TRIP info now is crap - moving it to the settings and clicking TRIP to see how efficiently i'm running is bad (plus now it takes the whole damn screen). the right side of the screen doesn't need the whole bit and the old layout with the box under the car was quite useful
    - tire pressure is also tough.. whereas before it was 2 swipes over from the TRIP box to the tire pressure, now it's going to the 'service' button or something.. so another random way and more presses to get there, which is not so safe on-the-go.
    - all the quick menu - why is it 'quick'.. .not like i need that quickly, and key parts of that info i only would do at full stop. quick info like TRIP stuff i need, but cannot customize. why do i quickly need to access farts and camping and mars landscape.. or sketching.. or even in the US/Europe, you can't do that while moving anyway.
    - A/C - i hate the swipe up and it auto turns on the AC. that's really lame. if i need to defrost the back, swiping up or pressing the AC will turn it on and i gotta go turn it off and then do the defrosting.. or seat warming. just really bad UX here.

@happy_camper - i also just BT phone to use spotify. however, for the updates, it has slowly downloaded before using their OTA, as i don't have home wifi. to expedite if i want it quicker, i've also just hot-spotted to my phone. however, i don't believe the car will auto-connect to the hotspot (i'm not even sure you can set it to do that). so the last update i saw that there was an update notice, so despite the previous hotspot connection, i still manually connected the car to hotspot and it just downloaded on its own. i didn't see anywhere it would auto-connect but if it's there you may have had that turned on. but if so you can disable?

I will keep a closer eye on the data usage. My new term starts tomorrow.

The Christmas update is pretty good. Includes a very useful feature which turns on the side camera depending in the turn signal, for blind spot coverage.
    Potentially useful. But the location is wrong because the view is covered by my hand. Works only for LHD cars.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:

Potentially useful. But the location is wrong because the view is covered by my hand. Works only for LHD cars.
    Yes that camera view is in a shit position... Also disappointed they have not added Spotify settings into the user profile. Family has widely varying music preferences..

Downloads are by default set to Wi-Fi. Once you are out of range of your home Wi-Fi, any downloads will pause.

if you’re using the phones hotspot you’ll need to turn on the hotspot and connect.

if you want to use the hotspot permanently, you can leave the hotspot on

touch Controls> Wi-Fi icon > Wi-Fi Settings > Remain connected in Drive.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8