Like Tree28Likes

Tesla Model Y/3: Tips for Owners / HK Specific Info

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tesla Model Y/3: Tips for Owners / HK Specific Info

Just a quick update from my earlier posts on this thread. I had ordered my White MY SR, 19" gemini's back in July, when it was slated for Dec delivery. Got a call in late Aug where they said i could pick up in mid/late Sept in the 1st batch (not sure if there were cancellations or what??). after a botched delivery day experience that was quite upsetting, i finally got my car in mid-Sept.. MUCH earlier than expected! So initial thoughts and observations in 1st month (also 1st time EV owner!):

- did all the youtube stuff like @ali_ster - ordered the pedals, center console organizers, floor mats, screen protector, mud flaps, roof cover/shade for those extra hot days

- PPF'd car - did Ceramic Pro in Kwun Tong - very nice job!

- got some Plasti Dip cuz i saw someone spray the Gemini's matte black - so I did that: removed the hubcaps and sprayed the rims black and got the wheel and lug caps as well... now it looks awesome and i do get the 19" comfort

- a must have: went to XiaoMi store and got an electric tire pump... tires in general will lose pressure and to optimize on range, you should keep the Gemini's at about 42psi or 2.9bar - so that little $250 investment has been great to keep tire pressure stable!

As far as range:
    - WLTP range of 455 is way off. EPA range is about 405km, whch is also a bit optimistic.

- Summer driving (or end summer in Sept!) - the A/C blasting at 6 or 7 in stop and go around TST can eat up huge amounts of battery! i'm talking down 15% or so at least if driving around for 45mins (looking for street parking)

- in normal driving in standard mode, and using regen braking, and A/C at 2, i been doing about 320-350, which is pretty much what I expected. I think coming in the winter might be a bit better? but i'd bank on probably 350 range

- I don't have a home charger - this was super pricey in my apt, where because the central power unit was 3 floors down, it would have cost ~$80-100k to install. that said, the Tesla advisor told me i should find a 'friend' to use that address to install and at least get the charger - but then i could get that place WITH my name on the address in time. But thankful for the suggestion!

- there are 3 supercharger locations within a 2km radius of my place so always have a place to charge**

- things i'm more aware of from battery perspective:

1) sentry mode can really eat battery! definitely filled in the map with my favorites as my trusted places - so it will not activate sentry mode there.

2) as mentioned A/C can be a battery killer, so keeping it at 2/3 is suggested unless it gets super icy. on days where i know i'll park outside long (like taking fam to Disney) i use the roof and windshield shades and it's real effective in keeping cabin cool.

3) Can swtich to "Chill" mode on driving to sometimes optimise on longer drives (but how long can one drive in HK!! haha).

4) DON"T KEEP CHECKING APP!! i kept doing this in the first few days and it can seriously drain the battery as you're forcing the car to wake up each time you open it. there's really no point to turn it on unless you're outside and about to go to car and want to cool it down. otherwise, keep the app open in background (so u don't have to take out phone when you get to car as that's your key) - but don't actively look at the app and check on the car! let her sleep!!

5) don't be concerned if there's some battery loss overnight .. i lost something like 7% on my first night as i was doing those things mentioned like checking app, sentry was on for 2 days at home.. in real usage, you'll always have a bit of drain from sleep to wake, so that's why the real world range would be in the mid 300s i'd say

- my premium connectivity just lapsed and i'm not feeling worse over it. It was a nice thing to view the satellite images on the map, but it's so not necessary. Music wise, i'm used to BT spotify from my phone so that is seamless in the MY, so i don't need to play off the app on screen. it still shows my current song playing on screen and controls are there so not a prob at all. Also i can pass the phone around the car so kids can play DJ

- use the Fart thing with people.. it's funny

- don't be alarmed that the netflix and browser are not installed - it's not an error on the software. HK gov't has not authorized that for cars/teslas given the distraction they say it causes, despite the fact that it can't be turned on unless you're in Park!

- my wipers are absolute crap! when it's on the '2' or '3' setting - so just normal on mode, the thing stutters like a 10 year old wiper set. I'll def have to ask them at the first servicing. they're ok on single wipes but man, it's so annoying when it's really raining and the thing stutters and makes this loud horrendous noise.

For people that rely on external charging like me:
    - currently following the guideline to do up to 100% so haven't limited it. I trust the reviews and Elon on these LFPs that prefer 100%. maybe i'll change that later??

- I also don't know right now the impact of always supercharging. i primarily rely on superchargers for now, and occassionally would just plug in for fun where there are free options (especially given the LFP 100% thing). I read that it's not good for battery health to always/solely supercharge - so might have to consider other plans at some point?

- supercharging from about 40% or so is almost perfect timing for me as it gets to 90%+ just before the hour mark so i don't have to pay an extra hour.

- the time to supercharge is also great for coffee dates with the wife

- also if you're in a place where you can get connection - it's also a great time to catch up on netflix! hehe get that Squid Game going!

anyway - that's it from me. sorry for the long post but wanted to offer my initial thoughts and observations! Hope you all get your car soon! it's an absolute joy to have and the feeling of reducing my carbon footprint is amazing!

Last edited by shri; 22-10-2021 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Thank you! Fixed some formatting.
    chuckster007 likes this.

@m2a6c - thank you x 100 for that review. Lots of localised tips for new MY drivers.

- Have noticed a lot of cars in Cyberport taking advantage of the $8/hour parking (8pm to 8am I think) and plugging into the 21KW destination chargers for free. I guess you get more out of those chargers than you pay for parking.
    - Can I ask why you got the ceramic coat thingy done? Cost?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @m2a6c - thank you x 100 for that review. Lots of localised tips for new MY drivers.

- Have noticed a lot of cars in Cyberport taking advantage of the $8/hour parking (8pm to 8am I think) and plugging into the 21KW destination chargers for free. I guess you get more out of those chargers than you pay for parking.
    - Can I ask why you got the ceramic coat thingy done? Cost?
    So the ceramic coat... it's that damn YouTube pre-delivery 'research'!! they all say that the one thing needed is to protect the paint. Many have said that the paint job on Tesla's are pretty shoddy, in particular the Black models i think where it's a single layer (possibly blue as well?). Was chatting to another tesla owner while charging and he was saying his black was really thin and bad - and that he wished he got the white as it's double layered pearl white. in any case, Ceramic Pro charged 17k for the PPF coat, which is about par for the course. pricey but guess if it protects paint and makes the car easier to clean (or keep clean) i'll take it!

Definitely will check out Cyberport charging! tks for the tip!

Definitely will check out Cyberport charging! tks for the tip!
    Destination charger status is not available online - so don't go too far to travel to Cyberport.. have seen a crap ton of cars waiting to be charged there.

Thanks m2a6c what a great report about the initial experience with your Model Y, I hope you can keep enjoying it for years to come! Those are great tips and I would probably be doing the same thing with app
    I also do not have access to a dedicated car park and will have to charge in superchargers / public car most of which have EV chargers available, I think it will be just fine.
    For the browser lock, I saw someone show how to "hack" it in HK :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdarvJ4EPrA

Not sure if that actually works in all models.

PPF'd car - did Ceramic Pro in Kwun Tong - very nice job!
    Did you also ceramic coat the seats? As I got the white interior I saw lots of recommendations about doing that to prevent long term staining / discoloration.

I drive my Model 3 on Chill mode all the time, and I am easily getting 400+ km with the aircon blasting 20°C.

Range depends on how much lead in your shoe.

(3 EVs and just ordered the a 4th)

Range depends on how much lead in your shoe.
    And I assume how hilly your drive is? I don't think the regen is 100% going downhill compared to the excess going uphill?

Quote Originally Posted by ali_ster:
    Did you also ceramic coat the seats? As I got the white interior I saw lots of recommendations about doing that to prevent long term staining / discoloration.
    didn't do the seats with Ceramic Pro, but looking to buy a ceramic coating for the interior (mine's black, but still you can see where stain marks are on black cuz it looks more glossy). also with kids black can also get real messy. So looking for some of the better coating, but haven't been able to locate in HK or on TB. i'd think that it be better to do it on a white interior tho, especially thru the summer times when things get more sweaty and dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Destination charger status is not available online - so don't go too far to travel to Cyberport.. have seen a crap ton of cars waiting to be charged there.
    i'm also on the dark side - so one fave place is K11 Musea - where they have a whole floor of tesla wall chargers which are free

pro tip: if you're going to upgrade iPhones or gadgets - do one at K11! any $5,000 spend gets you life time gold status which will also give you an extra hour of parking on any spend, as well as free parking from 5pm-midnight on 2 movie ticket purchases. (not sure if that 5-midnight deal is only for gold and above? but it's a great deal).

I do my action, Laser-IMAX movies there and it's great just going, plugging in, and hanging out wit their food court dinner and a movie, and all free parking!

(also, that parking area is all filled with teslas.. it's pretty awesome.. for tesla snobs that is...)
    emx and shri like this.

I was at K11 today for an early lunch and love all the free destination chargers they have installed.

Name:  FBD81A0C-4DF4-49C9-B695-1CFEB0517E14.jpeg
Views: 463
Size:  85.1 KB

(camp mode).

shri likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast