Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By ScouseSue

Motorcycle insurance

Closed Thread

Motorcycle insurance

Just need some help clarifying insurance for motorbike please! I’ve just finished my probationary period. I’ve been insured to ride my own bike but now I would like to ride my husband bike also. Seems it’s just a permission thing according to the insurance company. So he just gives his permission and no need to add anything etc on policy. Am I understanding this correctly? Anyone else had similar sort of situation?
    Also is fully comp insurance not really a thing here?

Thanks all

In HK the insurance follows the Vehicle + Driver so as long as you are over 25 and have permission from the owner then its perfectly fine to borrow and ride his vehicle, If you want it to be more safer in your mind then you can ask your husband to add your name on his insurance policy, see if the insurance agency is willing to do this, might have to pay extra

Fully Comp for Motorbike is non existent here as they deem it 100% to have accidents and they dont want to pay out LOL

Thanks replying. Much appreciated. I get the idea now. Was just a bit nervous how this plays out if you damage one of those Ferraris etc with some dodgy traffic filtering

If you're worried about Ferrari levels of damage, make sure he does not have a HUGE "unnamed driver" excess or restrictions on his policy.

Like chuckster said - best to get added as a named driver, although if you're new / don't have a no claims bonus etc, it might be a big enough hit on the premium ..

Quote Originally Posted by ScouseSue:
    Thanks replying. Much appreciated. I get the idea now. Was just a bit nervous how this plays out if you damage one of those Ferraris etc with some dodgy traffic filtering
    Well that's where 3rd party insurance comes into play, the motorbikes insurance pays for the Ferraris damage minus the deductions. You'll be fine, your husbands next year insurance payment will increase so dont go scratching FERRARIS, aim for cheaper Japanese vehicles.
    shri likes this.

for cars, I found it more cost effective to "named" driver rather than unnamed driver, for named driver they offered lower premium and lower excess.....

Thanks all!
    I knew here was the place to ask. I will perfect my filtering techniques

chuckster007 likes this.