Like Tree12Likes

Getting a new Mazda or preowned Merc?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting a new Mazda or preowned Merc?

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about getting a new car for a while now but have not finalized a decision. Tesla is on my list but model 3 is not really appealing to me and the review on quality is a bit off putting.

That said, I am looking at getting a 2016/17 GLA200 or a new/2021 Mazda 3 or 6. The price is around the same for either cars.

What are your views or suggestions?

The Mercedes has just reached the age requiring annual MOT inspection which is probably why the owner is getting rid of it, put yourself in his position, buy the new Mazda and no worries for six years, warranty is probably also very good. Don't forget to push for freebies even a tank of petrol. Good luck and enjoy the new car, still one of life's greatest thrills.

bak875 likes this.

If the price is the same, then surely new car.
    no MOT
    most important thing: warranty!

I am curious on "warranty". I heard Mazda does not honor warranty if the vehicle is not serviced at dealership. Meaning even oil changes need to be done at stealership price.

Back in Canada, I have been dinged on my Rx8. I did not have all my service records so Mazda did not honor the blown engine.

New Mazda all day long... as well as warranty etc. it'll be better on fuel and have better in car tech.

Merc are pushing hard in recent years with pretty innovative and flashy interiors but to me they are ageing very fast, especially with that silver plastic and “I glued an Ipad 1 to my dashboard” look...

shri likes this.

Any particular reason for Mazda?

I had a VW in HK and when Dai Chong Hong (DCH) had the rights for distribution and sales, the after sales servicing was pretty fair and the service centers were plentiful across HK. When DCH lost the rights a few years later, things went downhill pretty fast.

I then replaced the VW with a Honda, which DCH has the rights for. The servicing is VERY reasonable at DCH and they people are pretty 'honest'. EG I asked them about some things and they told me not to bother with it (would have cost me $10k).

Mazda has 1 official service center in Kwai Hing/Chung I think - is that convenient for you? DCH has one in quarry bay, 5mins walk from my office, so that works really well for me.

As for Merc, as per what other people said, it's probably reached the age when things are breaking now so I'd give it a miss, unless you want the 'prestige' of driving an older merc vs Mazda.

Coolboy likes this.

Ive been a fan of Mazda and Honda since I was a kid. And it seems the Mazda 6's are reasonable quality for the price point.

Choices in HK seem very limited compared to NA. Cant even buy a new civic in HK unless its a special ordered Type R which cost around 600k... its a CIVIC.

Mercedes has always been like a Rolex for me. Something I "want" just because. But I think you guys are right on the headaches I may face if I choose the Merc route.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    Mazda has 1 official service center in Kwai Hing/Chung I think - is that convenient for you? DCH has one in quarry bay, 5mins walk from my office, so that works really well for me.

As for Merc, as per what other people said, it's probably reached the age when things are breaking now so I'd give it a miss, unless you want the 'prestige' of driving an older merc vs Mazda.
    Yes, Mazda parts can be hard to come by if you need to fix or replace something. Mercedes though...actually easier to get parts because its one of the most popular automotive brand in HK. Its reliability though...unfortunately is nowhere as good as it once was.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 10-01-2022 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Ive been a fan of Mazda and Honda since I was a kid. And it seems the Mazda 6's are reasonable quality for the price point.

Choices in HK seem very limited compared to NA. Cant even buy a new civic in HK unless its a special ordered Type R which cost around 600k... its a CIVIC.

Mercedes has always been like a Rolex for me. Something I "want" just because. But I think you guys are right on the headaches I may face if I choose the Merc route.
    For a front wheel drive car, Mazda 6's handling is pretty good. Although Mazda will be ending the 6's production run pretty soon. Rumour is that Mazda plan to replace it with a rear wheeled drive car. The good thing about that is price on Mazda 6 should drop or at least remain relatively flat for potential buyers. The bad news of course is that your car's resell value will also drop substantially when its time to sell it.

Sounds like you enjoy sporty sedans. In that case, you can't go wrong with a BMW 3 series. The Mercedes C Class by comparison is not bad at handling but tends to lean heavier towards comfort and premium interior fit and finish. It can be sporty on occasion but not to the same degree as the BMW. The 3 series's interior is relatively spartan by comparison but it is superior in cornering and overall handling. If that is your priority go for a 3 series.

Mercedes tend to be slightly heavier than BMWs. They try to compensate for that with more powerful engines. So its not unusual for AMGs to have a faster 0-100 time than a M car. But of course that comes at the penalty of worse fuel economy. Mercedes, at least for their main line cars, has a softer and more luxurious ride while BMW prefers stiffer suspension for performance. Mercedes is almost like a German muscle car these days, with fast 0-60 times in a straight line while BMW can turn in corners better than Mercedes with less body roll.

I suppose there is also Audi A4/5. It has better grip in slippery conditions because of its 4 wheel drive quattro system. It has a pretty good pick up as well so when you hit the gas it will really go. But being a front wheel biased car, their handling often is not as good as its rear wheel counterparts. Its numb steering also does not communicate much to the driver, but I suppose these days that is a common issue with most cars switching to electric steering.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 10-01-2022 at 08:44 PM.

I have an A5 Quattro. I am definitely not a huge fan.

I did hear about the upcoming rear wheel version of the Mazda 6. It sounds like something I like. However, cant really hold my breath for it...

Alternatively, I think getting a 2018 mazda 6 is a steal of a deal. Under 140k I can get on in almost perfect condition.. Maybe drive it for 2 years and trade up for the new rwd version haha

Coolboy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast