Like Tree40Likes

Cheap weekend car?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rs4:
    First of all, define cheap
    Cheap like 50kish to 70kish initial purchase but below 5.5k monthly costs (including parking if it’s 3kish)
    Last edited by Alzthehero; 08-01-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The early generation of DSG gearboxes were notorious for problems. VW had to make mass recalls in numerous markets, not just for the main VW brand but also its Audi premium subsidiary. I stick with cars with a manual or if its automatic, I go with cars with ZF transmissiona which includes...BMW.
    Are oldish (2010+) BMWs good value? Heard the upkeep/parts cost a lot due to all of the electronics (similar to Mercedes). I’d love to get a BMW even if it means paying slightly more!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzthehero:
    Are oldish (2010+) BMWs good value? Heard the upkeep/parts cost a lot due to all of the electronics (similar to Mercedes). I’d love to get a BMW even if it means paying slightly more!
    Depends a lot on the mileage and the maintenance done by the previous owner. The E90 3 series generation (2005 to 2011) is reasonably reliable. But in general, BMW electronics reliability...is inferior to Japanese automakers. This is due to the different philosophy of German automakers compared to Japanese automakers. The Germans prefer more focus on innovation and pushing for cutting-edge technology. The Japanese however prefer a more conservative tried-and-tested approach.

So if your priority is long term reliability and ease of mind, avoid BMW. I only got a BMW because I want some peformance and handling.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 08-01-2022 at 06:15 PM.
    Alzthehero likes this.

If you dont include insurance and road tax then you should be fine.
    do you have any idea what kinda car you want to buy?
    suv, sedan, wagon, convertible etc?

Cheap like 50kish to 70kish initial purchase but below 5.5k monthly costs (including parking if it’s 3kish)

Quote Originally Posted by rs4:
    If you dont include insurance and road tax then you should be fine.
    do you have any idea what kinda car you want to buy?
    suv, sedan, wagon, convertible etc?
    looking for anything but convertibles or hatchbacks. Most likely sedans or SUVs (especially since I’m looking to store bikes as well on some occasions.) at least a 5 seater

looking for anything but convertibles or hatchbacks. Most likely sedans or SUVs (especially since I’m looking to store bikes as well on some occasions.) at least a 5 seater
    Bland and practical
    https://www.328car.com/hk/en/used-ca...san/serena-2.0

I strongly suggest I compact 7 seaters with ample room at the back to put kids stuff and some retractable seats in case you have more passengers.
    Here's something no frills, no electronics or advanced technology . Easy to maintain/repair.
    https://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/classi...da-5(reduced)/

Any preference on brands?

Wow, the usual suspects are running yet another car thread off the rails just like they did with mine ranting about roundabouts.

Can you both take your infantile back and forth to PM so others can derive what little benefit this forum has to offer in the firm of Q&A.
    @shri instead of locking this thread down (as mine was) could you please move their "conversation" into its own thread?

OP if you want a car under 1.5L displacement and want space for family and lots of stuff then options are limited. Vitara makes a 1.4L but there are few on the 2nd hand market. All other SUVs will either be over 1.5L or out of your price range (newer electrics).

Perhaps one of the many cube type mini vans? I don't know any of them though.

shri likes this.

Anyway another low cost option could be

https://www.328car.com/hk/en/used-ca...dai/tucson-2.0

Last edited by shri; 09-01-2022 at 03:11 PM.