Like Tree40Likes

Cheap weekend car?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cheap weekend car?

Hi all,

I’ve always fantasised having a car of mine own after having lived and used HK’s trusty public transport for almost 30 years.

I make enough to comfortably buy a decent car but the frugal voice in my head won’t pull the trigger because of the ridiculous maintenance/upkeep costs.

so I’m trying to find some middle ground here and really want to satiate my desire to drive; I’ve explored rentals but it just doesn’t feel the same plus I hate the idea of borrowing.

have others found themselves in a similar situation? I live in Hang Hau and although the parking here costs 3.5-4k I’m sure there’s a village nearby with sub-3k costs. I’m also thinking of finding a car for under 50k which won’t exactly be a totalled lovechild that might last for more than a few years - just so I could take the fam out on weekends.

and yes I know taxis are always going to be cheaper but still; it’s been a dream of mine to own a car and I don’t see myself leaving HK anytime soon so why not pull the trigger?

would love to hear your thoughts on WHY I shouldn’t do it

Quote Originally Posted by Alzthehero:
    Hi all,

I’ve always fantasised having a car of mine own after having lived and used HK’s trusty public transport for almost 30 years.

I make enough to comfortably buy a decent car but the frugal voice in my head won’t pull the trigger because of the ridiculous maintenance/upkeep costs.

so I’m trying to find some middle ground here and really want to satiate my desire to drive; I’ve explored rentals but it just doesn’t feel the same plus I hate the idea of borrowing.

have others found themselves in a similar situation? I live in Hang Hau and although the parking here costs 3.5-4k I’m sure there’s a village nearby with sub-3k costs. I’m also thinking of finding a car for under 50k which won’t exactly be a totalled lovechild that might last for more than a few years - just so I could take the fam out on weekends.

and yes I know taxis are always going to be cheaper but still; it’s been a dream of mine to own a car and I don’t see myself leaving HK anytime soon so why not pull the trigger?

You just need something to drive, right? Nothing fancy? A second hand (or even third hand) Toyota or Honda should satisfy your requirement. Or Hyundai or Kia can also work as alternative.
    Alzthehero likes this.

Go for a 2nd hand Toyota Prius if possible. Reliable, low maintenance costs and low fuel costs.

aw451, Alzthehero, shri and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Go for a 2nd hand Toyota Prius if possible. Reliable, low maintenance costs and low fuel costs.
    Or a Kia Cerato, nice looking compact sedan, handling and performance is unremarkable, but OP just want some no frills vehicle to drive, right? Second hand ones should be pretty cheap.
    Alzthehero likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzthehero:
    Feck the ones that says dont do it LOL

Get a car and drive around on weekends, go to places with your family n kids that you wouldnt even think of going, when I was living in clear in water bay, each weekend would drive to so many places, heck I even took my dogs to a doggy swimming pool out in the boonies in Sheung shui, its great fun. My car cleaning guy hated washing/waxing the car after swimming trip LOL

50K budget can get you lots of choices, how many people would you be driving around on weekends. You should join my old Alphard arsehole club LOL
    Alzthehero, Coolboy, shri and 1 others like this.

Are those cheap when it comes to parts/maintenance? I am looking for a no frills ride but if increasing my budget by 10-30k would mean I’d get a much better reliable ride (that doesn’t look too bad) should I go for that then?

Haha fair enough; takin the ride out to beaches and or even carrying bikes is exactly what I’m looking to do!

That looks semi decent! I personally can’t stand how Priuses look even tho they are the best financial option - life is short so might look at one of those Ceratos!

Coolboy likes this.

Here you go a 2014 Honda CRV $78K:

https://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h...4323760&h_vw=y

Keep in mind buying from locals who don't speak English can be a PITA. For simplicity's sake if you can get one from an expat likely less hassle:

https://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/classifieds/direct-owner-used-cars/

As others have said Toyota/Honda or Hyundai/Kia. Toyota's are reliable but boring AF to look at and drive!

East_coast and Alzthehero like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast