Like Tree32Likes

Cycling fine

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ugh, the physical and legal design of the bike paths makes them unusable in many areas. That the police went to nitpick at it -- damn they are over-funded! Very frustrating for the OP, but best just to pay and move on. You could share with the cycling group HK Cycle Alliance on FB or with the media if you're bothered.

Gavster and Gollygordon like this.

Zero thought post that don't even pass the sniff test.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbk:
    Bicycles should follow all the rules applicable to cars, plus a few specific ones, like helmets, hand signals, etc.
    What, like all riders must be at least 18 years of age and hold a valid driving license? And they must wear seat belts regardless of whether they sit in the front or back? That registration information must be displayed on the windscreen?

The biggest pain is that just a few seconds on at the next part of the track, my friend actually recorded all the people following us riding over the path (as would be expected), so it literally had no impact at all. Of course they got off when they saw us previously getting caught and then just hopped back on. I'm not condoning dangerous cycling like riding into main roads and not looking or even cycling along busy pathways, but if the concern was the reduction in cycling accidents then they most probably need to look into dangerous driving because I'm sure most of those 180 or so incidents they quoted last year were involving cars...but chasing drivers is far more difficult so let's go for the easy option eh?

Well, I guess I have no choice...

Thanks all for your comments

Original Post Deleted
    I can tell you don't bike.
    At the very least read and understand what was said before responding. I said bikes follow the same traffic laws as cars. Not the other way around.
    Maybe you're drunk posting?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Zero thought post that don't even pass the sniff test.

What, like all riders must be at least 18 years of age and hold a valid driving license? And they must wear seat belts regardless of whether they sit in the front or back? That registration information must be displayed on the windscreen?
    It's not a thought post. It's the law. Google it before you make an even bigger fool of yourself. Bikes must obey all the traffic laws that cars must obey. That includes not riding on sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbk:
    It's not a thought post. It's the law. Google it before you make an even bigger fool of yourself. Bikes must obey all the traffic laws that cars must obey. That includes not riding on sidewalks.
    You can read, but you can't comprehend

From the sounds of it, you don't know how to ride a bike, either? If you do, how's that seatbelt working out for you? Did you ride with a booster seat attached to the bike when you where a kid?

'Cause they are the laws for cars.
    hike likes this.

No helmets is illegal? On bike paths? That surely can't be true. I've never worn a helmet in five plus years of cycling in NT and I'm not alone.

Also why are pavement riding cyclists that ring their bell seen as indignant? Sounds to me like they are being polite.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    You can read, but you can't comprehend

From the sounds of it, you don't know how to ride a bike, either? If you do, how's that seatbelt working out for you? Did you ride with a booster seat attached to the bike when you where a kid?

'Cause they are the laws for cars.
    Come on, you know what he means - the rules of the road, not car-specific rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapster:
    Come on, you know what he means - the rules of the road, not car-specific rules.
    "Bikes must obey all the traffic laws that cars must obey."

The rules of the road are fairly different for bikes than cars. Lazy-arsed "you know what I mean read my mind" kind of statements just don't cut it.

I would add that this is from a poster who recently told us that ATM cards cannot be used overseas. Twice.

Anyone who has ridden at all in HK knows that the cycle paths here are designed badly. With extremely odd and unreasonable design flaws built in. The scenario as described by the OP does not deserve the lazy "all bikes must folllows teh car rules" because some of the rules are similar, some are totally different. For example, he invents a mandatory helmet law, which AFAIK does not exist in HK. Only place I know for sure with a helmet law is Australia, which as some some positive, and some very serious negative consequences to it.

Sure, OP was busted and by rights should pay the fine. But it was a stupid situation in the first place, typically poor urban planning, and a silly and inconsistent misuse of policing resources. I'd much more readily rail against cars that park up on sidewalks, or double parking.
    Last edited by jgl; 21-04-2022 at 02:38 PM.

“A cycle is regarded as a vehicle. A cyclist has the same obligation to follow the rules and regulations applicable to drivers when cycling on the road. Most of the rules and advice given to drivers in Chapter 5 of the Road Usersʼ Code apply to cyclists. The advice contained in this booklet is aimed primarily at those using bicycles. However some of the rules and advice also apply to those using tricycles or multi-cycles.You must obey traffic signs, traffic signals, road markings and traffic rules that apply generally to vehicles”.

Read the cycle safety guide for further details:-

https://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_173/cycling_safety_2020_eng.pdf

Last edited by ArrynField; 22-04-2022 at 02:29 AM.
    mpbk and jgl like this.