Like Tree32Likes

Cycling fine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flapster:
    Come on, you know what he means - the rules of the road, not car-specific rules.
    "Bikes must obey all the traffic laws that cars must obey."

The rules of the road are fairly different for bikes than cars. Lazy-arsed "you know what I mean read my mind" kind of statements just don't cut it.

I would add that this is from a poster who recently told us that ATM cards cannot be used overseas. Twice.

Anyone who has ridden at all in HK knows that the cycle paths here are designed badly. With extremely odd and unreasonable design flaws built in. The scenario as described by the OP does not deserve the lazy "all bikes must folllows teh car rules" because some of the rules are similar, some are totally different. For example, he invents a mandatory helmet law, which AFAIK does not exist in HK. Only place I know for sure with a helmet law is Australia, which as some some positive, and some very serious negative consequences to it.

Sure, OP was busted and by rights should pay the fine. But it was a stupid situation in the first place, typically poor urban planning, and a silly and inconsistent misuse of policing resources. I'd much more readily rail against cars that park up on sidewalks, or double parking.
    Last edited by jgl; 21-04-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbk:
    I can tell you don't bike.
    At the very least read and understand what was said before responding. I said bikes follow the same traffic laws as cars. Not the other way around.
    Maybe you're drunk posting?
    Right. So cyclists hold valid licenses too and must install brake lights? What a load of stupidity.

Save your personal attacks for PM or @Coolboy.

“A cycle is regarded as a vehicle. A cyclist has the same obligation to follow the rules and regulations applicable to drivers when cycling on the road. Most of the rules and advice given to drivers in Chapter 5 of the Road Usersʼ Code apply to cyclists. The advice contained in this booklet is aimed primarily at those using bicycles. However some of the rules and advice also apply to those using tricycles or multi-cycles.You must obey traffic signs, traffic signals, road markings and traffic rules that apply generally to vehicles”.

Read the cycle safety guide for further details:-

https://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_173/cycling_safety_2020_eng.pdf

Last edited by ArrynField; 22-04-2022 at 02:29 AM.
    mpbk and jgl like this.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    “A cycle is regarded as a vehicle. A cyclist has the same obligation to follow the rules and regulations applicable to drivers when cycling on the road.
    But he was riding on the pavement.

I talked to a guy who got fined for not wearing reflective material on the back of the pedals. Apparently it's mandatory. But most bikes don't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I talked to a guy who got fined for not wearing reflective material on the back of the pedals. Apparently it's mandatory. But most bikes don't have them.
    Not required in HK. It’s only a requirement for a red reflector at specified minimum height and of specified minimum size at the rear at all times (day/night).

Quote Originally Posted by mpbk:
    Thanks.
    You’re welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    “A cycle is regarded as a vehicle. A cyclist has the same obligation to follow the rules and regulations applicable to drivers when cycling on the road. Most of the rules and advice given to drivers in Chapter 5 of the Road Usersʼ Code apply to cyclists. The advice contained in this booklet is aimed primarily at those using bicycles. However some of the rules and advice also apply to those using tricycles or multi-cycles.You must obey traffic signs, traffic signals, road markings and traffic rules that apply generally to vehicles”.

Read the cycle safety guide for further details:-

https://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_173/cycling_safety_2020_eng.pdf
    Good that someone actually posted something of substance instead of brain-dead one liners

There's nuance to this, a bicycle is a vehicle and not a car (nor is it a heavy goods vehicle or a motorcycle). There are fairly specific differences, e.g. bicycles cannot ride through tunnels. On the other hand, cyclists don't have to wear seat belts or use booster seats for children.

Far as I can tell, all those guys pedaling cargo bikes around carrying gas cannisters are also breaking the law. Apparently the only flammable substance you can carry is kerosene(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    That's not one of the requirements. Rear-facing reflector on the back, yes, and a bell, but nothing about pedals.
    ArrynField likes this.

With the increased number of officers policing the bike lanes, I look forward to fines issued to pedestrians walking in them. The two bike accidents I had were as a result of near misses with people who are incapable of walking on the pavement next to the lane. Fortunately, I ride a Brompton and ride at a very slow pace, so it was only me injured, not the pedestrian.

On three separate occasions I have seen ambulances called due to cyclist/pedestrian collision.

jgl and MABinPengChau like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast