Like Tree32Likes

Cycling fine

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Good that someone actually posted something of substance instead of brain-dead one liners

There's nuance to this, a bicycle is a vehicle and not a car (nor is it a heavy goods vehicle or a motorcycle). There are fairly specific differences, e.g. bicycles cannot ride through tunnels. On the other hand, cyclists don't have to wear seat belts or use booster seats for children.

Far as I can tell, all those guys pedaling cargo bikes around carrying gas cannisters are also breaking the law. Apparently the only flammable substance you can carry is kerosene(?)

That's not one of the requirements. Rear-facing reflector on the back, yes, and a bell, but nothing about pedals.
    You must be a joy to live with.
    Plutark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidavros:
    With the increased number of officers policing the bike lanes, I look forward to fines issued to pedestrians walking in them. The two bike accidents I had were as a result of near misses with people who are incapable of walking on the pavement next to the lane. Fortunately, I ride a Brompton and ride at a very slow pace, so it was only me injured, not the pedestrian.

On three separate occasions I have seen ambulances called due to cyclist/pedestrian collision.
    Not even the worst of it. I've encountered runners, people pushing prams, high speed electric scooters and even a kid in one of them electric toy car things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster:
    Yeah it was in Yuen Long along a quiet part of the track just after Nam Sang Wai. Looking back it seems I should have sped away as none of them would give chase I believe! The charge will be riding on the pavement. I have to wait for the summons to come through first so I'm not sure how much the fine is, but it's the principle of it really. Just ridiculous that there's far worse stuff they could be policing but they deliberately planned it during the Easter holidays
    principle in HK?
    are you new here?

I thought electric scooters were illegal in HK

Quote Originally Posted by rs4:
    principle in HK?
    are you new here?
    No, I've lived here a while and have seen (multiple times) people jaywalking and just receiving warnings, so I was hoping it would be a similar response to a very innocuous incident. Perhaps I still had hope that this was still the great city I once remembered and all the more-recent noise about the corrupt authorities here was exaggerated to an extent.
    Last edited by Gavster; 22-04-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Not even the worst of it. I've encountered runners, people pushing prams, high speed electric scooters and even a kid in one of them electric toy car things.
    Yes. Most of those are very regular occurrences, except for the toy car! Because the scooters, electric bikes etc are going a bit faster than me, I find them slightly less annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I thought electric scooters were illegal in HK
    They are, but like many things in HK, they go ignored. Along with electric bikes they can often be found riding the bike lanes.

I haven't kept up, but thought that electric bicycles were still illegal, despite >75% of food couriers I see riding them.

It's just the way this place works- ban everything, but selectively enforce.

flameproof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidavros:
    Yes. Most of those are very regular occurrences, except for the toy car! Because the scooters, electric bikes etc are going a bit faster than me, I find them slightly less annoying.
    Sadly my ego sees an old man on an electric bike as a challenge.

Never ends well for me but I can't resist.

The scooters I juts cringe, knowing that they are going to have an accident one day, most likely because of a pedestrian crossing the lane or someone u-turning their bike without looking. And when they do - at that speed and with no helmet - it's going to be ugly.
    Epidavros likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster:
    No, I've lived here a while and have seen (multiple times) people jaywalking and just receiving warnings, so I was hoping it would be a similar response to a very innocuous incident. Perhaps I still had hope that this was still the great city I once remembered and all the more-recent noise about the corrupt authorities here was exaggerated to an extent.

The consumption voucher has been distributed.
    so.. govt gotta make $$$ too

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast