Like Tree32Likes

Cycling fine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

You might be interested in reading the following case where a cyclist was originally convicted of failing to comply with a requirement indicated by a traffic sign by the cycling track, however won her case on appeal.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ong-judge-says

https://www.doj.gov.hk/doj2015/doc/en/09_cases_e.pdf

Elegiaque and Gavster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidavros:
    They are, but like many things in HK, they go ignored. Along with electric bikes they can often be found riding the bike lanes.
    Until they are not for a purge the scourge day long publicity focused event

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    You might be interested in reading the following case where a cyclist was originally convicted of failing to comply with a requirement indicated by a traffic sign by the cycling track, however won her case on appeal.
    This was 2015, a time when courts where still independent.

Just as an update:

6 weeks later I've now received the court summons. It doesn't specify how much the fine is and requires me to attend Fanling Magistrates Court on the given date and time (even if I wish to plead guilty) ...I have no idea how this punishment is so disproportionately extreme relative to the actual act.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster:
    Just as an update:

6 weeks later I've now received the court summons. It doesn't specify how much the fine is and requires me to attend Fanling Magistrates Court on the given date and time (even if I wish to plead guilty) ...I have no idea how this punishment is so disproportionately extreme relative to the actual act.
    And for an offence that is routinely ignored by society.
    Gavster and aw451 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster:
    Just as an update:

Very much disproportionate … speed and cross double white lines in a motor vehicle, pay a ticket from the comfort on of your home; ride a bike without a ding ding bell, go to court

Anyway, you can ask prosecution to disclose all evidence they have in the case and see if it suitable to please guilty or not. Usually pleading guilty results in under $1000 and a record of the offence (but it isn’t a “criminal record”). Fighting it you stand to be found not guilty or guilty and pay a higher penalty. In some cases judges, who think the defendant put up a good defence and was not frivolous in wasting court time or dishonest, may decide to find the defendant guilty but issue a token fine or the plead guilty fine.

Edit: just read your post, lol, thought it was worse for dangerous/reckless cycling, etc. Sidewalk cycling is $500 + time wasted in court, even for repeat offences.
    Last edited by hike; 24-05-2022 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks for the info! Tbh, 500 HKD is already too much compared to speeding 15km over the limit in a car being ~300 HKD. Someone posted a link about a section G offence, which was a few hundred so I'm assuming it's not that much but it's the annoyance of having to go all the way there and wasting my time, as well as, explaining to my new company why I suddenly need to take time off when I've just joined.

Just another update if you ever need it for future reference:

-Fine was $400
    -Bring your ID and letter
    -Open court (you'll see other people in there and find out the heinous crimes they've commited
    -It's pretty casual; wear what you like and don't worry too much about being a little late (it took them 45 mins or so to actually get started)
    -Switch off your phones or put them in flight mode, otherwise they may take it away and not give it back until the end of the day!
    -Your number (on the summons letter) and name will be read out in order so make sure you're not too late and end up missing that
    -They read out your name, you step up and get asked 3 questions (Guilty? Mitigating circumstances? Need more time to pay?). Answer: Guilty, No, No
    -Each case takes about 2 minutes, but there could be 50-80 others in there with you
    -You leave and go pay at the counter (better to bring cash or EPS)
    -Finally, you can leave that stinking place, be free and leave your jailbird life behind

shri, jgl, HSY and 5 others like this.

What was the offence that you committed?

Now that you know it’s an offence, will you be more wary in the future? Would you commit the same offence again?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5