Like Tree8Likes

P plate's 70 km/h speed limit

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

P plate's 70 km/h speed limit

Hi everyone!

I have just obtained the license and currently driving with a P plate and had a question about the speed limit of 70 km/h that all P plate holders have to follow.

Is there any +- errors that are acceptable for driving with a P plate, for example if I drive 75 km/h on a highway, will it be considered as speeding? or admissible error of +- 10 km/h applies for P plates similarly as for regular drivers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If the cops want to get you, they will.

Beware of speed traps... they have no tolerance if its a training exercise.

hin23leung, sayan5 and aw451 like this.

You're on probation. Do you even want a full license?

From the Transport Department:

h) Serious and minor road traffic offence

Serious road traffic offences refer to those offences which incur 10 or more points under section 4 of the Road Traffic (Driving-offence Points) Ordinance (Cap. 375).
    Minor road traffic offences refer to those offences which incur less than 10 points under section 4 of Cap. 375, and include the below four restrictions introduced under this scheme:

• "failing to display P-plate"
    • "carrying any passenger (applicable to drivers of motor cycles and motor tricycles only)",
    • "driving at a speed in excess of 70 km/h"; and
    • "driving on the offside lane of expressways where there are 3 or more traffic lanes".
    https://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety...ers/index.html

Is it seriously the rule that you have to stick to 70kph even on a 130kph zone? To me that's outright dangerous in the real world. 100 I'd just about understand.

That's 40mph on a UK motorway for those in old money

It’s maximum of 70Km/h, even on higher speed limit roads.

For example, on a 100 Km/h section, P Plates can only travel maximum of 70 Km/h.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    130kph zone?
    Where is this new road?
    hiki08, dfc and jimbo_jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Where is this new road?
    they should make it that between the airport and Tsing Yi. Shorter commute = increased attractiveness and development of the area, which is what the government wants right?

I seriously had no idea P platers here had a 70km/h limit. They should have that number displayed with the P Plate like we do in Australia. Never felt a P Plater going too slow on a highway here before. Meanwhile I remember vividly how I held up a good 20 cars (including a cop car at the end) driving the max 80 on my learners license on a rural section of a 110 highway in Australia that was one lane only without overtaking allowed...
    shri and hike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Where is this new road?
    My mistake... such a long time since I've had any reason to drive to the airport. Its only 110 isn't it. Still a big disparity though.

This morning saw a P plater Audi wagon happily zooming on the Kwun Tong bypass at about 120 kph (limited to 80).

If you have him on video, remember to upload it to YouTube

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast