Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By qhank
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By PokfooLamin

Ontario "Driving Experience" - TD certificate?

Closed Thread

Ontario "Driving Experience" - TD certificate?

Hi All, as indicated earlier on this thread that HK driving license is not applicable for exchange in Ontario. Can someone familiar with the process who used their HK license to apply for a new license in Ontario, advice on below queries ?

Looking at the Ontario TD website, they asked for official letter confirming more than 2+ years of driving experience to exempt from getting both (G1& g2 after 1 year) instead directly attempt for a full G2 license, may i know if that document is equivalent to form "TD 320 Application for a Certificate of Driving Licence Particulars" ?

Also, since Ontario allow overseas license for up to 2 months, does it mean i can freely use my HK license for up to 2 months after Landing in Ontario ?? Any comments on whether i should still apply for the IDP in HK ?

Thanks for your response.
    Sure, I can get the IDP if it's so easy to get.
    However, my main query is in regards to the correct procedure for getting the official letter which is accepted by TD Ontario, confirming more than 2+ years of driving experience in HK, if that refers to the form "TD 320, Application for a Certificate of Driving Licence Particulars" ?

Original Post Deleted

You're still likely going to have to take the written exam regardless. Sorry, no other details to help.

(removed repetition of what hike posted)

Last edited by SirNotAppearing; 11-05-2022 at 04:13 PM.

qhank likes this.

Right, they don't really require proof that you have two years of driving experience, just proof that you have held your HK licence for two years. It's the same as Australia (they used to allow any HK licence to be converted, but I guess too many Mainland drivers took this route and caused accidents).

PokfooLamin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyguy:
    However, my main query is in regards to the correct procedure for getting the official letter which is accepted by TD Ontario, confirming more than 2+ years of driving experience in HK, if that refers to the form "TD 320, Application for a Certificate of Driving Licence Particulars" ?
    Yes, that's the right one. You take the certificate and your license to the drive test center, pass the eye exam and written exam and get your G1 license. Keep the carbon copy of the application they'll give you, it has your driving history on it. Then register for the G2 road test and if you pass you'll directly get a G license, you skip the G2 license. Be aware that after you've gotten your G1 license you cannot legally drive in Ontario with your HK license anymore. Make sure you have somebody who can drive you home from the drive test center. A G1 driver must be accompanied by someone who has a 4-star license.
    PokfooLamin likes this.

Be aware that after you've gotten your G1 license you cannot legally drive in Ontario with your HK license anymore. Make sure you have somebody who can drive you home from the drive test center.
    Reminds me of my young and stupid days where I drove myself to the DMV in the US for my test.

The instructor asked how I got to the center when he noticed no one else was there and I had a random moment of clarity and told him the person who drove me had to run errands and left for a bit.
    hike, CarterTG and mrgoodkat like this.

I once applied for a professional driver job in Canada (driving public bus). I have a professional licence in Canada. // During the application process, my Canadian licence was completely clean. They asked (like tick a box) if I had a licence anywhere else. Stupidly, I ticked that box. Then a while later they asked for my HKG driving record and it had things on it (nothing serious). However, because the driving record had ANYTHING on it within the past 2 years, I was automatically disqualified from the process. That is called 'self-disqualification'. When it comes to government, tell them the minimum.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PokfooLamin:
    I once applied for a professional driver job in Canada (driving public bus). I have a professional licence in Canada. // During the application process, my Canadian licence was completely clean. They asked (like tick a box) if I had a licence anywhere else. Stupidly, I ticked that box. Then a while later they asked for my HKG driving record and it had things on it (nothing serious). However, because the driving record had ANYTHING on it within the past 2 years, I was automatically disqualified from the process. That is called 'self-disqualification'. When it comes to government, tell them the minimum.
    Must have been all those parking infractions