Old motorcycle helmets

Closed Thread

Old motorcycle helmets

Any idea what I can do with old motorcycle helmets? Seems such a waste to just throw them away. In the US I donated them to emergency services for them to practice rescues. I wonder if they will take them in Hong Kong…

Leave them beside a bin, if there’s a use or a market for then, someone will take it.

post them here in the classified = FREE

Original Post Deleted
    I would be a bit dubious as to this claim, which I have seen repeated for bicycle helmets on many internet articles without research backing. If these things incorporate EPS foam, that stuff certainly lasts for more than 3-5-10 years and is highly resistent to salt from sweat. The other concern might be UV degradation of the outer shell, but that stuff is also made to be highly UV resistant.

A snippet regarding bicycle helmet testing (much lighter construction than motorcycle helmets): Extensive testing of used (but not crashed) bicycle helmets shows that the foam liners retain their performance over many years. MEA Forensic announced at a May ASTM F08.53 technical meeting the results of their testing of 675 bicycle helmets, some as old as 26 years. "There is no justification for two to ten year replacement recommendations based on impact performance," said MEA's Alyssa DeMarco.

https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm

My suspicion of the rapid replacement recommendation for helmets is a mix of manufacturers doing a CYA exercise, and encouraging resales.