Like Tree11Likes

HKeToll - just got a letter...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

HKeToll - just got a letter...

Just got a letter from eToll.

Didn't really bother to read though the long leaflet. If somebody has the answer I love to hear (max 10 words)

I had this Toll thing for a while - but paying $35/month so they can save staff cost does not make sense for such a shite company. How long did it took them to have Octopus? 20 years?

I still find it inexplicable how few taxis use auto toll... these guys get all “time is money” agitated over a 20 second wait but happily line up and waste hours each week in booth lane queues.

I guess they too don't understand why saving the toll company money should cost 35 per month. Isn't it going to be made free and mandatory soon?

(Off topic, but also amused by my driver this morning pulsing the accelerator constantly even when rolling slowly and so confusing the hell out of his hybrid system.. new dimension of stupid when you're actively using the petrol engine constantly and just lugging batteries around for fun).

I think the problem with the taxi autotoll is the taxi is rented out and the toll comes out of the drivers fare.. don't think there is a mechanism for the owner to figure out what the driver spent.

Unless some drivers have their own removable toll devices ..

Rob2020 and VillanElle like this.

exactly, taxis are rented out in shifts with multiple drivers. Can't attach toll device to the taxi and have fees charged per driver as it is too complicated to work it out daily.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Unless some drivers have their own removable toll devices ..
    I think the dongle is assigned to a license plate.

Luckily Uber drivers have this figured out and, with the increases in taxi fares, are becoming increasingly competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Just got a letter from eToll.

Didn't really bother to read though the long leaflet. If somebody has the answer I love to hear (max 10 words)

I had this Toll thing for a while - but paying $35/month so they can save staff cost does not make sense for such a shite company. How long did it took them to have Octopus? 20 years?
    Where's the question? Octopus? Most tunnels were privately owned. Monopolies are hesitant to change. (exactly 10 words)

$35/mo is in much the same vein as charging $10 for online booking of a cinema ticket. Only in Hong Kong...

I ticked the "apply eToll" box when renewing my license recently, but have yet to receive anything. AutoToll however have sent emails notifying existing users that later this month we'll be invited to apply eToll through them: presumably meaning we'll get a new tag (or maybe they'll share?) - but with continuation so tolls can deduct from existing AutoToll a/c. Either way that's shite as they don't take CC whereas eToll claims they will.

(Note that HKeToll is being deployed in partnership with AutoToll - so in typical HK fashion they're not being cut out, but government will keep them quiet by bringing them on board. I can only imagine that much increased volume, once eToll becomes compulsory, plays a part in appeasement. Much like Octopus earns $$ from just sitting on cash, I imagine AutoToll doesn't do badly itself either).

Found this while browsing through the TJam website..

https://transitjam.com/2023/01/06/to...-to-work-govt/

Saw this on the standard.

The HKeToll, a free-flow tolling service, will be implemented in the Tsing Sha Control Area from 5am on February 26 to replace all manual toll booths and Autotoll lanes, with the city’s transport chief saying that the service could be extended to the city’s cross-harbor tunnels this summer.
    Does this mean that eventually all toll lanes will only accept eToll?

Was not sure if this is a mandatory exercise.. but it does seem like it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast