Like Tree7Likes

Cross border driving in 2023

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    I actually got as far as “winning” a place on the quota (500 cars I think) but found the rest of the admin including Chinese MOT etc. far too onerous to bother proceeding with (and also heard a lot of horror stories about HK plate cars over the border)... they will put my slot back intocthe pool in October i think.

i did just get permits and insurance through for driving to Macau though (car park only, but still quite nice to be able to drive “somewhere”
    I've been seeing so many cars in HK these days driving around with Macanese number plates. Is it very easy for them to get HK number plates?
    Last edited by shree711; 03-10-2023 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    I actually got as far as “winning” a place on the quota (500 cars I think) but found the rest of the admin including Chinese MOT etc. far too onerous to bother proceeding with (and also heard a lot of horror stories about HK plate cars over the border)...
    Tried very hard to refrain from commenting but couldn't resist...

Meanwhile there are many like me (according to FB groups dedicated to HZMB driving) who have gone through endless rounds of ballots and still come out empty handed, only to discover that many who were lucky to have hit the jackpot didn't go through with their applications. It's a bit frustrating, to be honest.

HK government websites are about as exciting as wallpaper, and admittedly confusing, but the info (full procedures, limitations, expectations) are all there.

(including several of the FAQ asked by various people in this thread)
    saltywetman likes this.

from my experience as long as you have all your documents its a fairly straight forward procedure

HZMB options for us unworthy common folk:

1) HZMB ballot to Zhuhai and beyond (but Guangdong only) limited to just under 3,000 applicants per ballot / session. Once going through this it includes eligibility to park at the Macau East car park without additional paperwork. Requires HRP and Mainland driving license, as someone already mentioned. Additional named drivers without HRP (but still needing Mainland license) can be added.

2) Application to Macau East car park only. No ballot, Mainland license, nor HRP required. However Mainland insurance still needed as the majority of bridge itself is in Mainland waters (yes - this is a bullshit arrangement). Pre-booking of car park no longer necessary (unless busy) so you can just drive and turn up, which is an improvement on pre-Covid arrangements. Parking is also now free until further notice. Can not drive into Macau itself. That privilege is for dual license plate holders only, of which quotas are extremely limited and you need a legitimate connection with Macau (or vice versa) to apply.

Bit of a waste of money honestly... 550 HKD for the HK closed road permit, 900 RMB for mainland insurance on the bridge and about 1100 HKD for the Macau insurance.
    - true, but depends how many people you ride with. A family of 4 means saving $300 per person on return ferry tickets each time.

Also note that Macau insurance can be purchased for shorter periods. It's not well advertised, but there's a much more practical 9-day option for MOP 82:

https://www.macauticket.com/Insuranc...msAndKnowledge
    saltywetman likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2