Like Tree16Likes

Exchanging overseas drivers license for a HK License

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I had somewhat similar issues when I needed to get a HK license because my UK one had expired.

My test was passed in the Netherlands, but my expired license was from the UK (where I had lived and had to convert my Dutch license after a while).

I was also worried about the condition that you needed to pass the test in the country where the license was from. I even went through the trouble of requesting proof of having passed the test from the Dutch licensing agency. I also took along proof of residence in the UK.

When I went to Wan Chai they were not interested in any of that and waved away all my documentary evidence. If you have an EU/UK license, they will convert it is my experience. You get to keep your old license.

I takes a few weeks before you can pick up the new one. Unless you are patient and can wait over a month, there will be no online slots available for when you need to pick it up. If you arrive 30 minutes before opening, queues are very manageable.

Last edited by Ph1lW; 12-03-2024 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added info
    Bravoroni, Trebor and jabalong like this.

Hi thanks for the info.

im a bit confused about the pickup processing time and system? Can you please clarify? Is it faster to go in person and queue up when handing in the license for exchange? Or better to book online?

Also to pick it up as fast as possible am I better off going in person? Or making an appointment?

I booked online for the initial appointment, but then you are stuck in a queue served by just one booth. If you arrive early without an appointment (30 min before opening), the general queue is ok in my experience.

When they accept your application, they'll give you information when you can pick up the license. Online appointments are few and far between, so chances are you'll need to queue up in the general queue to collect the license.

Just book online for a scheduled appointment.

I would avoid the Admiralty office.

If you walk in, there could be a long queue.

Last edited by ArrynField; 12-03-2024 at 04:55 PM.

Just go ahead, u have a proper license from a country that is accepted. No need for all the extra BS. they wont even care like what Ph1lW said

jabalong likes this.

OP seems to be okay

I Originally obtained my license in Country A. A few years later moved and transferred to country B. A few years later moved to HK and transferred the license from country B to HK. I don’t see an issue with what OP is doing. Best to go to TD and statE the current documents on hand. Too much history may just confuse the officer.

jabalong likes this.

A friend of mine had similar issues with his UK licence and the appointment times were far away etc.

Find a friendly “ agent “ who can get it all done for you, We paid $2300 just need to give them your passport driving licence and proof of address which you’ll get back in a couple of working days, Then wait a week and you’ll get your HK driving licence.

Plenty of agents at the car dealers in Kowloon Bay.

shri and Bravoroni like this.

Hey jimbo, thanks for the suggestion. I sent you a private message please reply when you can! Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2