Like Tree14Likes

BMW vs. Benz

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    buy a Lexus
    2nd the recommendation.

Japanese car parts are a lot cheaper in HK. A mate of mine spent nearly 20K servicing his Merc E240, A car dealer neighbour spent 19K replacing parts in his 5 year old Merc E320 which he said was common.

^^^
    Lexus' are incredible in terms of utility and reliability.

There are two things I don't like about them though. One is the engine, the other is handle. I find the staring wheel to be too 'loose' on Japanese cars (or perhaps non-responsive would be the better word). Again, it really depends on what you're looking for in a car.

The only reason I can see to buy a Merc is for the name and prestige otherwise Japanese cars would be a much better buy for reliablity and cost. I was pretty happy with my Acura way back when I was young and silly enough to enjoy driving cars but I enioyed the BMW a little more. It held the road better at high speed and felt much safer with excellent acceleration.

Having tried both the Merc and the BMW's, I would say that I much prefer the BMW to drive. More responsive and the Mercs back then didn't even have manual transmission(don't know about here and now) which to me is essential if you're a real driver.

http://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_...e=2&h_srh=v300

This is the car that i wanted to get until my misses said NOOOOOOOO!!!

Got clocked doing 140KMH on eastern highway at 2am last month on my friends Merc, thought i was doing 80 but it was MPH, DOH.
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 11-02-2009 at 04:09 PM.

I can't say I am a fan of the BMW 318i, it's awfully gutless, and if one wants to enjoy a 3 series, it has got to be with one of their sweet naturally aspirated inline sixes minimum, or its just going to be a real let down, in my opinion...

But to offer a small shopping list of alternative vehicles to compare, roughly within your 150K price range, then below is worth considering. You can always negotiate used prices by 10 - 25% depending on how eager the seller is,especially at the moment..

2004 Lexus IS300/IS200 sweet engine, Rolex reliable, rear wheel driven, sharp handling and quality fit and finish ( sensible choice ).

2005 VW Golf Gti 5 door would be another excellent choice, voted car of the year by majority of the worlds motoring press, and for good reason, they really are fun to drive, while still being practical..

2002-3 BMW 325i 6cyl, please don't get a lethargically wheezy 318i, when the sweet 6cyl models exist, making them fantastic cars with enough power to compliment the well sorted chassis dynamics...318i's are cheap for a reason, they aren't popular, and very disappointingly gutless...

Another great car for very good value, is BMW's 2004 Mini Cooper S, if a 3 door hatch is fine, as a 2nd/weekend fun car, the Cooper S is a car, that will put a smile on your face every time you take it out, especially along Hong kong's tight narrow roads, not to mention parking will be easier.

Most of the above is well within your 150K budget, especially while negotiating a good deal, which in todays economic climate, shouldn't be difficult...

Last edited by Skyhook; 11-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I can't say I am a fan of the BMW 318i, it's awfully gutless, and if one wants to enjoy a 3 series, it has got to be with one of their sweet naturally aspirated inline sixes minimum, or its just going to be a real let down, in my opinion...
    Absolutely true... waste of time to buy that kind of car without a bit of power behind it.

Avoid a Merc most of the ones sold in Hong Kong don't have indicators that work

Quote Originally Posted by Alphacat:
    ^^^
    Lexus' are incredible in terms of utility and reliability.

There are two things I don't like about them though. One is the engine, the other is handle. I find the staring wheel to be too 'loose' on Japanese cars (or perhaps non-responsive would be the better word). Again, it really depends on what you're looking for in a car.
    Yes, I have to second the above, but with one notable exception: the new Infiniti's offer a great value for the price (its called Infiniti in the US, but Nissan may be calling it something else here). I had both a 330hp Infiniti G37 and an M35x and they were awesome. You get Japanese reliability and performance close to that of a German car.
    Last edited by filin; 11-02-2009 at 05:10 PM.

can i make a few corrections.
    its "handling" not "handle".
    and its "steering" and not "staring".

I would get a Prius if image is my top priority.

Last edited by lulumay; 11-02-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Excellent video about buying a used MKV Golf Gti

Last edited by Skyhook; 11-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast