Car Mechanic

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mashi83:
    well it's a mitsubishi, and it's not young anymore.

i took it in for servicing and MOT in november '08, maybe they tampered with something accidently while they were servicing my car.

hmmmm
    I used to own a Mitsubishi Galant VRM, usually got mail from Sime Darby for free check up, recall parts replacements. Is yours an imported car (Sui For = Grey import) or an official import. You could get them to check it out for you.

Forgive this wee aside:

Friend put his second-hand car in for an MOT weeks ago. And along with the list of necessary jobs carried out, the mechanic changed all four tyres. It cost HK$2,200 just for this, i.e. not incl. MOT checks and changes, which came to a few more Ks! Now, NOT disputing the charge, tho' it did take us by surprise - after all, safety IS paramount - but is the price OK? (BTW, the old tyres dated back 2002, and kinda worn.)

___

And oh... WTBhotia - I found the silver car paint: both the wee varnish tube and spray-can types, matching the exact make of car. Will dab the damage, and other ol' scratches, and finish off with Turtlewax, laters this week. (Wanna borrow these wheels in future ) Several auto parts & accessories shops clustered around Nelson St, Shantung St, Sai Yee St, etc, Mong Kok.

Last edited by emmie; 11-03-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Sp.: tire - > tyre - in case petty pedants pounce... But, who'd care when typos come with (forum) territory, anyways? ;-)

i bought 2 brand new Bridgestone tyres for our car last month, fitted and balanced manufactured in Nov 08 as per the id code on the side wall. for $840 for the pair ( fronts ).

$2200 for 4 second hand tyres ? Sounds really dodgy, that does.......

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    $2200 for 4 second hand tyres ? Sounds really dodgy, that does.......
    Sorry, not second-hand tyres - supposedly, relatively "new", I think the mechanic said at the time, while pointing to the side of the rubber, imprinted with a code and year: 2007 ? (if my memory serves me right)...

Now, you've got me worried...
    We chipped in quite a bit for "the changes", thinking it would be a straight-forward MOT (Maybe the garage dude thought us green behind zee ears?)

There are a whole stack of Tyre shops behind the Yuen Long Police station, which is where I got ours from.
    At the rate these shops sell stock ( high turn over ) and due to lack of storage space, generally they only sell just arrived stock.

Hard to say if $2200 for old stock 207 tyres is cheap or not, if they were 17inch low profile 35's etc, then it sounds like a fair deal... as they are usually $800 to $1200 per tyre each. What size spec were the tyres ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    There are a whole stack of Tyre shops behind the Yuen Long Police station, which is where I got ours from.
    At the rate these shops sell stock ( high turn over ) and due to lack of storage space, generally they only sell just arrived stock.

Hard to say if $2200 for old stock 207 tyres is cheap or not, if they were 17inch low profile 35's etc, then it sounds like a fair deal... as they are usually $800 to $1200 per tyre each. What size spec were the tyres ?
    Not sure 'bout "size specs", but just checking thru scribbled info here (which means zilch to me!):

Front tyres 2.2kg/cm2 : 3.2 psi
    Rear tyres 2.0kg/cm2 : 2.9 psi
    ___

[cm2 = cm 'squared']

Ah - strike out previous post above... *slaps own forehead*

According to friend -

Tyre size: 175/70R14 , 185/65R15

Road wheel: 14 x 5J , 15 x 6JJ

And the year printed on side: 2008.

In the end, won't worry much - just GLAD to know the tyres are a lot safer now, especially ready for looming rainy season.