Driving in HK on UK license

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Driving in HK on UK license

    Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how long you can drive in HK on a foreign license before you have to apply for a local license?

    I have heard that you can drive for a year on a foreign license, but no longer. I have also heard that if you own the car you have to have a HK license in order to drive it at all.

    I've looked at several govt. sites but can only find information on how to apply rather than any regulations governing licenses.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gold Coast Marina

    From the other thread, the consensus seems to be if you are a visitor you can drive for up to one year; if you are a resident then you have to get a HK license.

    It's pretty easy to get - no need to surrender your other licence or anything. Just pay money and pick up a week later.