car insurance

Closed Thread

Talking car insurance

hello there,
    just wondering if anyone can help us on this one. my partner and i live out in the new territories and need to buy a vehicle. I do not have an id card as yet but he does. We BOTH have HK drivers licenses though. I do realise that he will be the one to put his name down as the owner but can I also drive the vehicle (as a second driver and be covered with insurance company) ?????
    I have called various insurance companies but they seem to be unable to give me an answer. I am currently trying to find a job so that I may gain an ID card but just wanted to know whwether there is anything we could do until then.
    I know it is a weird question but if anyone could possibly shed some light on the situation I would be ever so grateful.
    (we just want to take our mountain bikes and our dog out to some of those remote beauty spots!!!!)
    Cheers

The advert on the right side (Kwiksure), have u tried them. they should be your best bet to get a straight answer.

Anyways here is another one for you to check out if you havent already. according to their website.

Motor Vehicle Insurance or Car Protect Insurance in HK - Falcon Insurance Company (Hong Kong) Limited

Do I need to name my driver at the time of buying the policy?
    Yes, the information of driver is one of the critical underwriting factor for Motor Insurance. So, the unnamed driver will be subject to additional excess if it involve motor accident.

Is the car insurance operational, when my driver is driving the car?
    Unless your policy is limited to named driver only, otherwise any driver with relevant liscene and is authorized by the policyholder is covered by the policy. Regular driver will be recommended to name in the policy.

Can I add more drivers in between the policy?
    Yes, additional drivers can be added to a policy anytime during the policy period. General speaking, named driver is limited to 2 only. The third or more driver will be subject to additional premium.

Can I have more than one driver in one policy?
    Normally, when we quote, policy provides for two named drivers. Policyholders can request for more and normally with a maximum of four persons and subject to additional premium will be charged.

If I change my driver, do I need to intimate the insurance company ?
    If you have named the original driver in the policy, then you need to intimate the company regarding the change in the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellbell:
    :I do not have an id card as yet but he does. We BOTH have HK drivers licenses though.
    How did u manage to get a HK drivers license without a HK ID card, very strange that. Did you use to have a HK ID (Temporary) one.

Kellbell,

Yes, you'll be able to drive the car as well.

You're supposed to have a HKID card to go with the HK driving license as I found out when I accidentally got lost and took a wrong turn. Got pulled over. I only had my passport on me at the time with my HK driving license so they let me go.

But, back to your question, sure. You'll be able to drive the car either as a named driver or with the permission of the owner.

Know people who can give you a quote for car insurance in case you want to comparison shop when you get your car.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    How did u manage to get a HK drivers license without a HK ID card, very strange that. Did you use to have a HK ID (Temporary) one.
    Indeed. I don't see how it is possible to have the driving licence without an ID card since the driving licence is essentially an addendum to the ID card. Something's not right here.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Indeed. I don't see how it is possible to have the driving licence without an ID card since the driving licence is essentially an addendum to the ID card. Something's not right here.
    Maybe he got his drivers licence (10 years) on a non-permanent HK ID card which has since expired?

Visas expire, ID cards don't, so if the person ever had a HKID they should still have it now.

Moreover a HK Driving Licence is only valid if you are legally resident in HK. If you aren't then you should be using the driving licence of wherever you are legally resident.

Last edited by PDLM; 12-05-2009 at 11:48 PM.