Any car experts here?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any car experts here?

Have a couple of car problems... and want to get a second opinion.

Most of the Volvo / car forums are pretty much oriented for DIY types, while I'm not about to start changing chips and tracing circuits... I would like to see if there is anyone here who can help me understand a problem I have.

ABS / EBD warning lights are on and speedometer has stopped working. Car runs fine ... no problems with it.

Last edited by KnowItAll; 15-09-2005 at 04:57 PM. Reason: fixed a TLA

KIA, pm me... ill get you through this

Is the speedometer analogue or digital?

Speedometer is analog / Trip and Odometer and digital

Volvo S40 1997/98

ABS and EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) lights come on after 4-5 minutes of driving or if the car is warm.

Must add .. the brake pads have been replaced and brake fluid has been checked.

Seems to me that a lot of older Volvos have problems with the electrics. My father was a bit of a Volvo addict for a good 15 years of his life....I remember he had to keep changing fuses near the left front door panel of his 240, and later, his 960...Looks like they've been buying electric components from GM

If speedometer is not working at all and is analogue it may be that the cable at its back has disconnected or has shredded (it's a cable within a sleeve).
    Do the ABS/EBD lights come on when the ignition is on prior to staring the car?
    Have you performed an emergency stop to test the ABS?

>> Do the ABS/EBD lights come on when the ignition is on prior to staring the car?

Yes, if the car has been driven for a while..

Sequence is .. turn the key.. everything lights up like a xmas tree and starts turning off when the diagnostics are completed (I assume). The ABS and the EBD lights remain on if the car is warm .. or come on in a couple of minutes when the car warms up.

Not done an ABS test.. need to find a road where I can. AND risk the car potentially falling apart?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    ....Not done an ABS test.. need to find a road where I can.........
    Do it just as you exit the Central tunnel- I reckon you could add another 15 mins travel time to all the guys Q'd up outside immigration tower waiting to get in!

If it's analogue speedo then it will be the cable which is a piece of piddle to replace. ABS lights could be something very simple of very costly- doing an emergency stop is the best first stage- that's what a garage would do and charge you 500 chips for doing it.

Dare I ask if you have the workshop manual?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast