Like Tree2Likes

driving a scooter in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by met_74:
    that is funny..in Holland and London i have not seen any girl on a scooterbike. I was asking around here (we live in London but come from Amsterdam) but no one ever heard about scooters and chicks an sissy's. Not so universal image after all?
    ahhh. yes, but in australia and US, REAL men drive big cars, or ride huge motorbikes. sort of the "size does matter" mentality. some of us like to think these guys making up with the size of the toys what they are lacking elsewhere... but we wont start THAT line here seems in europe/uk it is almost the norm to drive a small car and ride a moped (that will change now that helmets are compulsory in Italy etc for a 50cc scoot), so the sissy image isn't there.

suffice to say, i've copped my share of taunts on the scoot, none on a bike. generally it's the same sort of guys that pay out cyclists for wearing lycra. if you can't understand it, laugh at it.

BTW, what WAS that moped joke, Lammarite? seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by wahansa:
    Do "mopeds" exist in Hong Kong? ... By the way, we don't need any licence in Sweden to drive the kind of mopeds we have (under 30 km per hour).
    Good question. haven't seen any, nor seen any for sale (then again, i've not been looking out for them..). most the scoots i have seen are 125cc and above. these sell for $13500+ brand new, so they are very cheap. you need to have a bike or auto/scooter licence to ride them. i reckon u'd be mad to ride anything less than 125cc in HK anyways, as u need that little bit of power to get out of trouble, and the <50cc's just dont have it. see if you can get your bike licence b4 u come, it may work out cheaper and easier. in saying that, the course here is apparently extremely good, great for defensive riding, so i'm told.

Cool

I know a few people in HK with mopeds who get by with no worse problems than they would in central London. Sure the air isn't great, but you can wear a paper mask and it's not as if everyone is holding their breathe when walking around town either...

Joke

The Joke is:
    "What do a fat girl and a moped have in common?
    They're both fun to ride, but only until your friends find out..."

Nasty..

Quote Originally Posted by kristof:
    The Joke is:
    "What do a fat girl and a moped have in common?
    They're both fun to ride, but only until your friends find out..."
    SO!
    does that mean that "guys" in general, have a secret desire to do the above-said, but would like to keep it secret? hmmmm. so, does that mean all u guys that poke fun at scooterists and moped riders are doing it because they are hiding their real desire behind a facade of macho jokes, unwilling to let your mates know what u really want?

I'll stick to my scoot and my bike, u guys can do wot u like, in private, big girls or mopeds, woteva - it's a free world, he he he...
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 20-09-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Is there a way to register a motorcycle in Hong Kong without being resident / ID card holder (I am a foreign resident of Guangzhou)

I think HK is way calmer traffic-wise than London, Paris or Rome. Drivers use less initiative when it comes to finding a better lane and so forth. The big issue as I see it is with distracted drivers. The situational awareness of the average driver (and the average pedestrian for that matter) is quite poor compared to Europe. So safety-wise it might well be a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by wahansa:
    Do "mopeds" exist in Hong Kong? It's not a scooter, but more like a scaled-down motorcycle, a cross between an MC and a bicycle. If it does exist, is it expensive? What sort of licence do you need to drive one? I and my husband each have a moped (not at all considered sissy in Sweden), and we wonder if we can still enjoy riding one if we move to Hong Kong. By the way, we don't need any licence in Sweden to drive the kind of mopeds we have (under 30 km per hour).
    I'm sure there are mopeds in Sweden that really are limited to 30 km/h, but I have yet to see one in reality.

To answer your question, I have seen mopeds and such in HK. Not the smallest ones but still. Mostly scooters though. The line between moped and scooter blurs a bit at the low end of the scooter range.

OLD THREAD ALERT!

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    . i reckon u'd be mad to ride anything less than 125cc in HK anyways, as u need that little bit of power to get out of trouble, and the <50cc's just dont have it. see if you can get your bike licence b4 u come, it may work out cheaper and easier. in saying that, the course here is apparently extremely good, great for defensive riding, so i'm told.
    There's also the question of all the hills. You'll need power.

I did find out the real reason for there being no 50cc bikes in HK. You need a motorcycle license regardless of engine size. The only reason 50cc bikes are so popular in Europe is that in most places they can be driven without a license. If you have to have a license, you might as well buy a bigger bike.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast