Like Tree2Likes

driving a scooter in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thanks,

Is this affected if you have a UK full bike licence?

SS7

if you have a full UK bike licence with no restrictions, you can transfer to a full HK bike licence just by paying the licence fee and filling in the appropriate forms.

read the whole thread and follow the transport department links.

Transport Department - Vehicle & Driving Licences

Indeed. Just as with car licenses, bike licenses from a number of countries can be transferred. Takes 10-14 days, two visits to the Transport Department and about $1200.

Thanks

I'm moving to HK in mid-Nov for 6 months. And I've only just bought a BMW R1200GS here in the UK (damn and blast!). I'm wondering if a bike in HK winter makes sense as a way to see the place and get around.

SS7

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring7:
    Thanks

I'm moving to HK in mid-Nov for 6 months. And I've only just bought a BMW R1200GS here in the UK (damn and blast!). I'm wondering if a bike in HK winter makes sense as a way to see the place and get around.

SS7
    "HK winter" always strikes me as a funny expression. It's not as if we get polar bears roaming the streets and penguins congregating on sheets of ice in Victoria Harbour. The temperature only very rarely dips below 10C. Sure, the locals put on their down jackets and winter boots in late October but I'm still in shorts and a t-shirt. I wear shorts and a t-shirt for 9-10 months a year. The rest of the time I put on a sweater or light jacket and very occasionally jeans.

Summer is probably worse than "winter" with a bike considering the frequent torrential rains, but it is still not a real problem.

Rest assured you can drive your bike year round and it is a fine way to see the place and get around.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    if you have a full UK bike licence with no restrictions, you can transfer to a full HK bike licence just by paying the licence fee and filling in the appropriate forms.

read the whole thread and follow the transport department links.

Here's the updated link for the Transport Department

dropdedfwed likes this.

I have a M1 license from California, can I just transfer that over? Do people actually ride 600cc+ motorcycles in HK? I'm used to riding 600/liter sportbikes, I don't think I can downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by thebp:
    I have a M1 license from California, can I just transfer that over?
    read the link that longbeard just sent

Do people actually ride 600cc+ motorcycles in HK? I'm used to riding 600/liter sportbikes, I don't think I can downgrade.
    yes they do

Do people actually ride 600cc+ motorcycles in HK? I'm used to riding 600/liter sportbikes, I don't think I can downgrade.
    As mentioned, plenty do. Just look over on iBike

Having said that, 400 and under is definitely more common. Just from what I see around, I think the Honda CB250 is probably the most common bike, with the CB400 not that far behind. The CB250 is ridden by the Police and by the Towngas service guys.

I would note that the more powerful bikes like the sport 1000cc models are perhaps a bit wasted here. Roads are often twisty and narrow so a smaller, more agile bike may be your best bet.
    Last edited by axptguy48; 02-06-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    thebp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by axptguy48:
    As mentioned, plenty do. Just look over on iBike

Having said that, 400 and under is definitely more common. Just from what I see around, I think the Honda CB250 is probably the most common bike, with the CB400 not that far behind. The CB250 is ridden by the Police and by the Towngas service guys.

I would note that the more powerful bikes like the sport 1000cc models are perhaps a bit wasted here. Roads are often twisty and narrow so a smaller, more agile bike may be your best bet.
    I did not notice [url=http://www.bikehk.com]www.BikeHK.com