Like Tree2Likes

driving a scooter in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Hugo85 is quite correct. It is regulation driven. Given that the HK license is valid for any engine size, no one in his/her right mind would get a 50cc. If you want a small engine machine for economy, compactness, and docile driving characteristics, you might as well get a 125-200 cc and avoid the disadvantages of the 50cc (underpowered entry level models). A 125cc is only a bit larger and heavier than a 50cc but a far more capable machine.

In Sweden, like in Canada, a 50cc is easy to get. No test at all. Just go. A 125cc requires a "light motorcycle" license while for the rest you need a "heavy motorcycle" license (much harder). Therefore it is logical that the 50cc and 125cc segments are well filled.

Quote Originally Posted by axptguy48:
    In Sweden, like in Canada, a 50cc is easy to get. No test at all. Just go. A 125cc requires a "light motorcycle" license while for the rest you need a "heavy motorcycle" license (much harder). Therefore it is logical that the 50cc and 125cc segments are well filled.
    In Canada a 125cc motorcycle requires going through the same hoops as a 2000cc motorcycle. And even then, at the exam you either have to bring your own motorcycle or rent one and the rentable ones are 650cc so it's easier to do the unlimited permit than a lower one.

My 650cc motorcycle is one of the smallest bikes on the streets in the cruiser category, everyone else has 1100cc and above.

in hk, only 2 license, MT or AT. If u juz want to drive a scooter, then an AT, otherwise MT is required for RR, nake or motorX

I went to the transportation department in 2005 or 2006 to get my European motorcycle license "converted" into a local HK motorcycle license (I've already had the HK car license, also converted a few years earlier).

In addition to cars I can now drive classes 3 ("Motor Cycle") and 22 ("Motor Tricycle"). There is a list of classes on the back of my license. It doesn't have AT or MT (Automatic or Manual Transmission). Neither did my original European license have these two separately or do I know how we could obtain a AT-only license in Europe. Never heard of that.

Maybe the HK Vehicle Classification Codes on the back of my license changed in the meantime. My license looks just like this: Transport Department - (larger version of reverse side here). Maybe the AT restriction would be listed as a restriction under 9 ("Others")...

I wouldn't mind renting a bike or scooter and give it a try in HK. Have only driven cars around here, but not very often. A major inconvenience in my opinion (I am not going to many remote places away from public transport).

Last edited by 100LL; 18-07-2010 at 08:22 AM.

If not specified, you can just all motorcycles. If you had an automatic only license there would be an "A" next the applicable classes, such as "3A" and "22A".

Just to be clear, there isn't really a "manual only" variant. It's either automatic only or all motorcycles, both manual and automatic.

I have never heard of an automatic motorbike license in Europe either.

Quote Originally Posted by axptguy48:

I have never heard of an automatic motorbike license in Europe either.
    but Japan has, even for the over-400cc class.

a technician told me this, it's not good for a male or heavy person to ride a 125cc or lower for a trip longer then 10km in HK, esp in HK Island. The repair freq. is much higher.

i would suggest the minimum is 180cc, like SYM joyride, KYMCO Dink 200i, etc....around 30K for a new one, or ~15K for a 4yrs 2nd hand.

for license, if 3 and 22 u can drive both MT and AT ie everybike, while 3A, 22A scooters only.

Last edited by clarence_kwan_h; 21-07-2010 at 04:41 PM.

How "safe" is it to be motorbiking in HK Island / Kowloon given that traffic seems to be a bit more adventerous?

Stay sharp and keep your distances, and it should be about the same as everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    How "safe" is it to be motorbiking in HK Island / Kowloon given that traffic seems to be a bit more adventerous?
    Adventurous compared to what? It's way more chilled than, say, Vietnam or The Philippines.

Seriously though, while traffic density in Hong Kong is high, drivers aren't very aggressive. Also, there's lots of regulation regarding lanes and such. Not a lot of choice in most places. If you want to go in a certain direction, there will probably only be one lane to choose from. Speeds are slow too.

Yes there are moron drivers and many have poor situational awareness. Despite that, I feel way safer driving in HK than, say, Italy or the UK. As mentioned, if you keep your distance and are aware of your surroundings, it's all good.

Re engine size, I would agree. There's really no reason to drive anything smaller than a 150cc since the license is the same, smaller than 125cc is not allowed on highways and the hills make the engine work overtime.

Safe riding!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6