Car prices in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I tend to agree with most "don't need car" sentiments, however... what do those who have kids do when they want to go somewhere? Taking cabs with kids sitting on your laps is not the safest option, and nor is strapping a kid into an adult seat belt. I have just made a very small investment in a car, with this being a major reason for the purchase (others being less important )

as far as costs goes, i think the difference one pays in rent living in the NT pretty much covers the expenses of my car... depending on whether it is used as much as "needed", or used often as "wanted"...

to any travelling /out on business expats ( who rarely use their cars), just wondering if you would mind offer your car for lease (at reasonable rate) during next year november as i have a relatives in hk during that period.

I don't mind any reason size car or a saloon, however, i not so keen on petrol guzzlers/chelsea wagans due to sheer cost of running them.

I will deal with my own insurance for your vehicle.

i thought uk was really bad for renting cars untill i seen hk prices...

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    to any travelling /out on business expats ( who rarely use their cars), just wondering if you would mind offer your car for lease (at reasonable rate) during next year november as i have a relatives in hk during that period.

I don't mind any reason size car or a saloon, however, i not so keen on petrol guzzlers/chelsea wagans due to sheer cost of running them.

I will deal with my own insurance for your vehicle.

i thought uk was really bad for renting cars untill i seen hk prices...
    Buy a cheap second hand car for around $10k to $15k then sell again at a few $k loss, might be less hassle that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Buy a cheap second hand car for around $10k to $15k then sell again at a few $k loss, might be less hassle that way.
    My friend's been making fun of me that my kayak is more expensive than their second hand Toyotas...

or check out Avis in HK, you can rent a decent sized care for around $10k a month, almost new, insured.

notwithstanding the kids exception which is fair enough. The car would likely cost 15K/month with parking and gas. That would be 500$ worth of taxi fares every day...

Have no issues paying 50K for a bicycle but I hope to be done with cars forever...

Filthy and wasteful machines that are polluting money pits...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    notwithstanding the kids exception which is fair enough. The car would likely cost 15K/month with parking and gas. That would be 500$ worth of taxi fares every day...

Have no issues paying 50K for a bicycle but I hope to be done with cars forever...

Filthy and wasteful machines that are polluting money pits...
    I think we should live naked and just walk....just assembling the bicycles and producing the material for it, is polluting.

i'm not sure about those figuires. The costs i have calculated would be 1/3 of that at most, including allowing for licence, insurance etc.

I do agree however, that motorcars are on the whole an over used destructive commodity... forgive me father for I have sinned

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I think we should live naked and just walk....just assembling the bicycles and producing the material for it, is polluting.
    There are very nice bamboo bikes nowadays

As for the 15K, i was referring to the rental cost at Avis. The estimation is about a million HKD over 10 years for an average car so you would be correct in saying about half that cost but that's without hefty parking charges...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    There are very nice bamboo bikes nowadays

As for the 15K, i was referring to the rental cost at Avis. The estimation is about a million HKD over 10 years for an average car so you would be correct in saying about half that cost but that's without hefty parking charges...
    Dude, are you really cutting the Bamboos for making a bike...ayaa poor bamboo trees wor !!!!

I say, we go naked naked and we walk walk walk!!!!!