Like Tree3Likes

Driving in Lantau

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    About a year ago I drove all over Lantau including all the way to Tai O! I even waved at one of the guards in the little hut as I drove on by! No problem! Don't try it on PI though, I tried to to turn around down there, not even go on, and I got a 320HKD fine!
    i would have insisted on the tour for 320

more expensive than ocean park........

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I suggest that you need glasses!

Edit: Why can't I put a link to Google Maps in here? Have an attached screenshot instead...
    I definitely need glasses if I should be able to read anything about permits in that photo!

it says ROAD CLOSED....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    it says ROAD CLOSED....
    One of the numerous signs does, I agree, but it is a temporary sign that must have been there when the Google car passed through!
    Last edited by Stoob; 06-10-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks BB - I realise that is an old picture and there is currently a somewhat smaller forest of signs there. But it is still clear that a permit is required to go beyond the Shek Mun Kap roundabout I believe.

actually, that forest of signs has grown, but it is quite clear, no driving beyond that point without proper license

They do frequently hide in the bushes with radar guns on that part of Lantau (and check permits, which have to be displayed at the windshield, at the same time).

and if they catch you the microwave you with the radar?

thought I saw something that said 5000$

hmm actually could take a short break for that much

You can find plenty of buffalo poo in the road around Sai Kung and other parts of the NT, if that's your only draw for heading over to Lantau.

Actually for a short period a few months ago we kept driving over to South Lantau and just never even noticed that sign until we got pulled over, luckily we got let off with a warning. I genuinely had never noticed the permit sign, I'd seen the road closed sign, but for some reason just assumed it was a sign that had been left up and forgtten, as we knew the road wasn't closed and so didn't even consider that we might need a permit, it just didn't occur to us. We knew about DB and Sai Kung country park no drive rule, but at SKCP it's gated so I guess we just thought, no gate means its fine....

Before anyone attacks us for why we were driving, we were doing research in the country parks and up at Ngong Ping, heading up there after dark and we were often there until after 1am. Using public transort would have been tricky and made the work a lot more difficult, emerging from a forest trail in the middle of the country park at 1am is not a good time to be relying on public transport.

We know now though and have been good since, but it does mean we don't go there much now.

yep Kogia - those buffalo in the Kung can be a pain - I was going around a corner and they were crossing

- all 15 of them - they did create quite a tail back....

bit scarier on a motorbike as I was "first" and it was just past a blind corner ( you know where the car garages are towards wong chuk road )

was imagining being shunted into the buffalo in front by an SUV behind...

so how many goes did you have going over to Lantau before you got caught?

it seems the road is closed during the day?