Do you need a HK driver's license to buy a car?

Closed Thread

Do you need a HK driver's license to buy a car?

I have a UK license and havent yet applied for my HK one as only just received my ID card. Apparently I can drive on my UK license for 6 months but can I buy a car if I dont have a HK driver's license?

You can get a HK licence without any hassle other than showing your UK licence.

You will need a HK licence before the dealer can release the car to you - at least that's what happened to me when I bought my car 4mths ago.

Honestly, the whole process is pretty straightforward.

You can buy a car from a private party. I bought, insured, registered, etc. with no HK license. Still haven't got one...

There's no legal reason why you can't buy one. But in order to drive it as a HK Resident you need a HK licence.

Quote Originally Posted by LOJITT:
    I have a UK license and havent yet applied for my HK one as only just received my ID card. Apparently I can drive on my UK license for 6 months but can I buy a car if I dont have a HK driver's license?
    Given you've got a HK ID card, I presume you are not a visitor. You can only drive with your overseas drivers licence if you are a visitor.

See: Transport Department - Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders

Thanks for all the advice- going to apply for my HK one asap. Car purchase will have to wait.