Like Tree2Likes

Drivers License Use

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No - they just looked at the photo on my HKID card and read the bit that said "Driving Licence" on the licence card. I'm not sure they understood that they should at least match the ID numbers on the two documents.

BTW, my UK Driving Licence doesn't have a photo on it or require matching with any photo ID.

BTW, my UK Driving Licence doesn't have a photo on it or require matching with any photo ID.[/QUOTE]

that's the older style uk driving licence which was phased out ten years ago.

I know that, but it's still perfectly valid until my 70th birthday.

Does anyone know if I can use my California's driver's license in HK instead of using IDP?

As a visitor, yes, no problem. If you are a resident (i.e. HKID holder) then you need to get a HK Driving Licence (which can be done with a US one simply by filling in a form and paying the fee).

thebp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    As a visitor, yes, no problem. If you are a resident (i.e. HKID holder) then you need to get a HK Driving Licence (which can be done with a US one simply by filling in a form and paying the fee).
    so therefore, are you saying that any vistors (even if they have HKid card, whether RTL/ROA ) can drive in Hong Kong without appling for a new licience as long they don't live in Hong Kong? for example oversea chinese or hkid holders.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    I know that, but it's still perfectly valid until my 70th birthday.
    Indeed. Mine is the same, still valid, no photo.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    so therefore, are you saying that any vistors (even if they have HKid card, whether RTL/ROA ) can drive in Hong Kong without appling for a new licience as long they don't live in Hong Kong? for example oversea chinese or hkid holders.
    My understanding of the situation is if you have a HKID card you need to have a HK license. If you are here on a visitor's visa you don't need to get a HK license.

so is it illegal to have a hkid card without a valid hk driving licence (as you don't live in HK, thus a vistor) or would you be exempted as you're classed a vistor on basis that you don't live in hk on pernament basis regardless whether you have a hkid? is this a loophole or gray area?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    so is it illegal to have a hkid card without a valid hk driving licence (as you don't live in HK, thus a vistor) or would you be exempted as you're classed a vistor on basis that you don't live in hk on pernament basis regardless whether you have a hkid? is this a loophole or gray area?
    It seems pretty clear, if you are here with a stamp in your passport that says the word "Visitor" than you don't need a Hong Kong Driving License.

If you are a HKID or HKPID card holder you need a Hong Kong driving license regardless if you a PR who has moved overseas and is visiting Hong Kong again or not.
    imparanoic likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast