Like Tree2Likes

Drivers License Use

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

hi - i wonder who has been stopped by a hong kong traffic police?

what do the hong kong traffic police normally says when you have been caught parked illegally (on a double yellow line) or caught speeding?

from the past experiences where my friends (and not i) are caught speeding (i still have a clean driving licence) or caught parked on a double yellow line in central (i still have not collected a parking ticket).......the hong kong traffic police would normally says:

1. please switch off the car's engine

2. present your driving licience and

3. present your hong kong id card.

if you notice the hong kong id card has a photo of yourself and the hong kong driving licence has the same hong kong id card printed at the front.

from the above statement there is no photo on the hong kong driving licence because you should be carrying your hong kong id card with you ....at all times....or face a penalty...and also carry your driving licence (when driving).

for visitors driving on hong kong roads....you should always carry an international driving licence and your passport....and a proof of your insurance......hong kong roads are not an adult
    playground....speeding, careless or drinking driving is not allowed.

i hope this has help

I've used my license in Spain, was stopped by the Police (policia local) and had no issues.

Some may remember the old UK licenses which didn't have a photo either.

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Some may remember the old UK licenses which didn't have a photo either.
    And as noted above, some of us still have them....

I have used my HK licence in New Zealand recently without problems and MrMovingin07 used his in the UK a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by willho:
    for visitors driving on hong kong roads....you should always carry an international driving licence and your passport....
    Any current driving licence which is written in English (or Chinese) is valid for visitors. It is a legal requirement that visitors carry their passports (or other state-issued photo ID) with them at all times regardless of whether they are driving or not.

I have used my HK licence to rent and drive cars in the US and Australia (and perhaps even the UK).