Like Tree2Likes

Drivers License Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Drivers License Use

Hey everyone, just recieved my HK drivers license (did a direct issue). However I was suprised to see that there is no picture on the license . How can I use this license when I try and rent a car overseas. Specifically the U.S and Europe?

Do I need to also show my HKID? Has anyone rented a car using their HK drivers license? If so any problems?

All you need to do is apply for an International Drivers Permit. It's a simple procedure, and it is valid for 1 year.

Fill out the form in the link below, and either send it by post or go in person to one of their offices:
    http://www.td.gov.hk/FileManager/EN/...51(6.2009).pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kyamato
    Hey everyone, just recieved my HK drivers license (did a direct issue). However I was suprised to see that there is no picture on the license . How can I use this license when I try and rent a car overseas. Specifically the U.S and Europe?

Do I need to also show my HKID? Has anyone rented a car using their HK drivers license? If so any problems?
    Yep, I hired a car in Paris through Europcar rentals at Charles De Gaulle Airport, used my HK drivers licence, HK id and passport as id... No problems at all.

I'd say this is going to be a case by case basis depending on the country you drive in, but you can easily obtain an international licence issued from the HK Tranport Dept, for $80.00, for countries like Italy etc.

We had no problems in Switzerland & France during our last 2400km road trip, just using my HK licence..

May I ask why an IDP is neccacary? The HK DL is in English (at least mine is) so would that suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyamato
    May I ask why an IDP is neccacary? The HK DL is in English (at least mine is) so would that suffice?
    As I stated earlier, it depends on the country, some require a translation of your licence in the language of the region, or an IDP.

http://www.italiantourism.com/transp.html

" Driving License Regulations
    Italy recognises driving licenses and other traffic documents that are valid in other countries. U.S. and Canadian driving licenses are valid in Italy but the license must be accompanied by a translation or an international license (check your local AAA in USA or CAA in Canada). For motorists not in possession of an International Driving license, the ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia) will issue a declaration upon presentation of a U.S. or a Canadian license. The declaration is obtainable at any ACI offices.
    "
    Last edited by Skyhook; 14-10-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Ah okay I understand. May I ask if this is the case in the U.S. I believe that as long as the licesnse is in English no problem in the US?

My Australian drivers licence is fine in the USA, I'd imagine the HK one should be o.k. I'd still just get an IDP issued from the HK Transport Dept, for $80hkd, it covers all your bases in most instances.

Excluding Mainland China of course... IDP's have a fold out list of countries that they are valid in, eliminating the guess work...

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-10-2009 at 07:06 PM.

ANY "HKID card + HK dl" holder can obtain the mainland dl via direct issue arrangement w/ Guangdong Province

DiY (chinese) ~HK$6xx OR pay ~HK$1,500 to some school

Last edited by humanbeing; 14-10-2009 at 08:05 PM.

I have used my HK DL in conjunction with my HKID to hire a car in the US no problem at all (Avis DFW for what it's worth).

Good to know. Its actually the first time I have seen a DL without photo ID.

PDLM did anybody give it a second thought at DFW when they saw ure HK DL?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast