Like Tree7Likes

HK driving license to China driving license

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HKHK154:
    It's just a computer test which needs 90% of the questions answered correctly. The test is in English so should be fine. No actual driving.
    That's what you think.
    You can actually take the test in many languages.
    I took it in my native language and did not pass.
    Eventually, I took it in Chinese.

Much luck with the "learning material".

So here comes the mother of all stupid questions.

HRTP and everything but NO HK driving license.
    Have a EU one and an old expired one from the People's Republic of China
    ( issued in the capital )
    Any chance / experience I can do it myself in Shenzhen ?

ok, I had a look at the regulations in Chinese.
    For HKers they only accept HK issued driving licence.
    This means I will get one first, anyone remembers the fee and how many days it takes from app submittal ? Thanks

went to the TD
    apparently, I can use my Chinese DL as it has not expired for more than 3 years
    and they convert it into a HK DL
    Saves me the translation cost for the foreign.

However, if your Chinese DL was issued out of Guangdong province then it must be invalidated first ( expired not enough ) before you can get a new Chinese DL in Shenzhen

Does anyone know about how to do this yourself in Guangzhou as a non-Chinese citizen, with a Permanent HKID and HK Driving licence?

Anyone based on past experience of obtaining a Hong Kong license from direct issue know usually how long it takes to convert a foreign license to a Hong Kong license via direct issue? And usually how long to obtain mainland China license with a Hong Kong license. And whats the best way to prepare beforehand to smoothen the process?

Getting a HK License takes around a week after submitting the paperwork if I remember correctly.

Getting the China license from a HK license can actually be done same day IF you have all the necessary paperwork.

I did the conversion from HK to China licence by myself and it took me a whole day running around the city getting different forms issued and stamped though once I had it all and submitted it, they pretty much issued the license straight away.

In hindsight though, I'd use one of the HK driving schools to do it for you. It will cost more but saves a hell of a lot of hassle that I went through.

Thanks si0001. Do you have any guidance on the DIY approach, and did you do this in Guangzhou or Shenzhen? How much did it cost in the end?

Thank you si0001 though the issue now I have no fixed residential address in hong kong anymore. I will be returning from overseas to apply and will remain in Hong Kong for a week in a serviced apartment before heading to the mainland I can return to hong Kong to pick up my license though to apply for the mainland license. I wonder are there any mail forwarding firms in Hong Kong which I can use for a corresponding address. Or do I need to use the address of a friend in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Thanks si0001. Do you have any guidance on the DIY approach, and did you do this in Guangzhou or Shenzhen? How much did it cost in the end?
    I did mine in Guangzhou. If I remember correctly you need 5 items to apply:

1. HK Driver's License
    2. HKID and HRP (maybe passport with valid China visa will work?)
    3. Driver's Medical Certificate (got this at a GZ hospital)
    4. Proof of residency - This is issued by the police department who will require a registration form stamped by some sort of local district housing office, who in turn require a Hu Kou book from the resident.
    5. Photos - there are specific photo requirements that you can buy in most photo shops.

All in it cost around 500 RMB (I think, it was a while ago so don't quote me).

The proof of residency is the hardest one to get (I used my wife's home address). Could be a problem if you do not have a residence in GZ.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast