Cars from China

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Any LHD coaches you see in HK will be dual plated vehicles, meaning owned by whatever entity in China, with cross border permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Test conditions, comparison to other vehicles in the class, made when, where.
    Too much of that uncorroborated BS on t'internet.
    ADAC who did the BS6 crash test is a well renowned German automobile club that does tests according to and for Euro NCAP.
    They have been doing crash tests for decades and you can find all the information about the tests & results here.

The first Chinese-made car tested by ADAC was the Jiangling Landwind, causing sales to be halted due to the disastrous result, and after the BS6 came the Brilliance BS4 which got 0 points (!). Seems the term "China Cracker" is quite apt.

Another Chery hits the wall. Really QQ.

The only BS I see is that from the manufacturers of those cars who claim the tests were not fair or rigged to fail them intentionally.

Were these cars destined for Europe or for the China market but tested in Europe.
    And as you are obviously well informed on this - what are the Chinese standards compared to the EU ones.

In return if you ever need to know anything about heavy metal release from ceramic or glassware then I'll be happy to advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Were these cars destined for Europe or for the China market but tested in Europe.
    The Brilliance BS6, BS4 and the JMC Landwind were meant for European markets, the Cherys for Russia (supposingly also tested according to Euro NCAP standards).

And as you are obviously well informed on this - what are the Chinese standards compared to the EU ones.
    The Chinese standards are lower, for example they do the offset crash at 50km/h instead of 64km/h.
    Lately the privately run but government funded test institutes claim that Chinese standards are getting close to EU / American ones and that they may even test according those, but they also say they are not allowed to publish the ratings. Makes you wonder why that is if Chinese cars are that safe, as their manufacturers claim.

In return if you ever need to know anything about heavy metal release from ceramic or glassware then I'll be happy to advise.
    Noted.
    Last edited by Raccon; 01-12-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Any LHD coaches you see in HK will be dual plated vehicles, meaning owned by whatever entity in China, with cross border permission.
    Indeed - and not only coaches: There are a number of LHD drive cars and vans in Hong Kong, all with dual plates. AFAIK, pretty much the only way to legally operate a LHD vehicle in Hong Kong.

...which is surprising - because other rides they do so well ;-P

I could have sworn I saw some dude driving a LHD convertible on the freeway a while back, I found it so surprising that's the only reason I recall it, maybe I was dreaming....

eh yea, china cars are not very good, remember they did a test a while back on a 4WD SUV and those things rolled over.. I mean literally roll over on it's top while attempting to do a turn and the turn was not even sloped, it was flat.... imagine rolling downhill while trying to take that thing off road and going up a steep hill then doing a turn, scary...

what's scarier, chinese made cars or 300 million new chinese drivers on the road?