HK drivers license

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You're wrong. Domestic means issued by any country. It is perfectly OK to drive here as a visitor on a UK, US, Canadian, wherever driving licence. (in the same way that I can, for example, use my British or HK driving licences to drive in the US, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc.)

Just out of curiosity, if you are Canadian, why do you spell licence the American way? All the online references I can find say that Canadians spell it the British way.

Last edited by PDLM; 14-04-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by citibatter:
    You can get charged because:

a) you are NOT holding an international driver's license
    b) you are not holding a domestic license either (I think domestic in this case means HK, not Germany)

Anyway, I am not trying to be a pain in the ass for you guys. It's just a friendly reminder that seemingly petty offense can have possibly severe consequences.
    True and if you do have an accident and your insurance is void due to not holding a valid licence you can be in a world of trouble if the other party is seriously injured and they sue your ass off. Even worse if you're involved in an accident with a minibus/bus and multiple passengers suffer from whiplash.

Litigation is not cheap at all here.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You're wrong. Domestic means issued by any country. It is perfectly OK to drive here as a visitor on a UK, US, Canadian, wherever driving licence. (in the same way that I can, for example, use my British or HK driving licences to drive in the US, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc.)

Just out of curiosity, if you are Canadian, why do you spell licence the American way? All the online references I can find say that Canadians spell it the British way.
    Do you have any idea how close Canada is to the US?

Out of some 40 cable channels in my TV, less than 5 are Canadian Channels.

In terms of spelling, I think I have been in HK long enough that I do it either way. Also, if I spell it the British ways, I get caught by MS Words' spellcheck all the time.