Like Tree7Likes

nearest/cheapest air connection from HK to a extraordinary white sandy beach?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Hainan Island. My wife says this is where many local HKers vacation. Have you been? I think it could be very interesting.

sanya trip,hainan trip,Hainan Island,Hainan Island,Haikou,Sanya,Travel,Tour,Trip,Freesanya.com

This could be a top tip - thank you!
    Yes - I've been to Hainan Island. I can vouch for it having great beaches and many mainlanders on vacation. As to the rest of it, it's in China, that just about sums it up!

If anyone is intent on a beach holiday in China -- a poor idea, IMHO -- I'd recommend Beihai instead of Hainan. It has good beaches but also an old town.

What's the concentration of phlegm at Hainan beaches? How about in the water when the hordes take a dip? Low, medium, or high? In areas favoured by rich mainland folks in Vietnam it was medium to high. Bit of a shame this spitting business.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    What's the concentration of phlegm at Hainan beaches? How about in the water when the hordes take a dip? Low, medium, or high? In areas favoured by rich mainland folks in Vietnam it was medium to high. Bit of a shame this spitting business.
    Sanya is actually surprisingly good for a beach holiday. Great beaches and good hotels. This is the crazy thing though, while its busy you don't see many mainlaners during the day. Seems they don't like the sun. Works out well though, as you can always get a sun bed and the beach is nice and empty.

Breakfast on the other hand, is a different story, that's when its chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Hainan Island. My wife says this is where many local HKers vacation. Have you been? I think it could be very interesting.

sanya trip,hainan trip,Hainan Island,Hainan Island,Haikou,Sanya,Travel,Tour,Trip,Freesanya.com

This could be a top tip - thank you!
    I have been there around 5 times for hiking in the mountains.
    That's 10 years ago and many things have changed since.
    Personally, I would not recommend it for a beach holiday.
    Locals will chase you for business even while you are over your dinner.
    The sand is also not as special, water at SanYa just so, so
    oh, yeah, watch out that the speedboats don't cut your head off

hi all,

thanks a lot for all these tips!!! I will definitly try some of these beaches.
    Unfortunately I cannot read this HK web page, google does not translate it - any advice? Same page is availabe for Germany but there you can't search for Asian flights - no results!
    Do you know other web pages where I can search for cheap flights?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I have been there around 5 times for hiking in the mountains.
    That's 10 years ago and many things have changed since.
    Personally, I would not recommend it for a beach holiday.
    Locals will chase you for business even while you are over your dinner.
    The sand is also not as special, water at SanYa just so, so
    oh, yeah, watch out that the speedboats don't cut your head off
    sanya looks SO GREAT! exactly what I want - and I checked the prices with china eastern... it's perfect! thanks

Susey...

Try downloading Google Chrome: Google Translate

It's a built in feature within the browser... I'm so use to it automatically doing it on my laptop that I just assumed everyones computer did it (oh technology) Keep in mind that the translations are not the best in the world, but you should get the idea.

Many of the online travel site don't offer the discount airlines so you're not always getting the better deal. Best to go straight to the discount airline web site to see what's on offer. To find out which airline flies to a destination worldwide, you can use Skyscanner and it often gives you spot prices for flights.

Cheap flights | Free flight comparison at Skyscanner.net

Honestly though, for almost half the year, HK's beaches are fine and I don't see much point paying thousands of dollars to go lie on another beach somewhere else unless you're after a bit more(food, diving, cultural stuff).

Personally, I find the Philippines poor value in terms of food and accommodation however people are very friendly and English is more widely spoken. Still, I much prefer going to Thailand largely because of the food which is usually very cheap and superb and the choice of places to stay is greater and generally of a higher standard for similar prices. China is always interesting but language is sometimes an issue, I find the hotels tend to be a bit more expensive and sometimes not very well maintained, the food isn't always great and can be a little bland to my taste. You also need visas...

Vietnam is another nice alternative but you have to get a visa and you have to wait for a special on flights. Malaysia is another possibility when they have a deal to KL, Air Asia often does but then you have to travel a bit to get to a beach. The nicer ones are on the East Coast, Tioman island is a very nice place. Out of Singapore, you can also take a ferry to some of the Indonesian islands Batam and Bintan but I think these places are a bit boring...

susey, Char Siu King and miaxx like this.

thanks for the web page. bintan seems to be a good choice to go - flight is not too long to singapore and cheap and it takes about 45 minutes with ferry, I've read in some articles. you're right, HK's beaches are fine but I think they are in no way comparable with the really white sandy ones (i love the lonely island feeling ) in bintan or other islands.