Like Tree5Likes

Cheapest Appliances in HK (Value)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Fortress is where I got all my appliances and was satisfied with price, service and the need to return a steamer and get them back to check why my TV was not working well - that turned out to be a wall fixture problem. I bought the Philips TV at Fortress (price shopped that for a good buy too) but Philips did the install.

They deliver this stuff too and come on time.
    totally agree! piece of mind. I would never buy appliances form anywhere else.

Also when friends come over to HK especially from Europe or Aus I tell em go to fortress and not to get scammed by independent shops like the ones on Nathan road.

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    totally agree! piece of mind. I would never buy appliances form anywhere else.

Also when friends come over to HK especially from Europe or Aus I tell em go to fortress and not to get scammed by independent shops like the ones on Nathan road.
    Comparing local shops in less affluent neighbourhoods with the tourist-rip-off-racket that is Nathan Road belies belief.

Those local stores have perfectly good customer service (although probably better if you speak the local lingo, which I don't but have still been happy).

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Fortress has an iron for HK$93, a kettle for HK$79 - not what I would call expensive. Also they come with a guarantee.
    Most of the home appliances I purchased from neighborhood retailers came with 1 yr warranty. no guarantee though.

Actually these shops tend to be owner run and in business for many, many years have much better product knowledge than the housewife or zit popping youngsters working at Fortress and the like.
    bryant.english likes this.

if i had to choose between a boardway or fortress (rebadged unknown china brand) or a low priced budget but is pretty decent quality china brand such as midea, not bad for the price you pay for, defo cheap and cheerful.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Comparing local shops in less affluent neighbourhoods with the tourist-rip-off-racket that is Nathan Road belies belief.

Those local stores have perfectly good customer service (although probably better if you speak the local lingo, which I don't but have still been happy).
    Those tourist traps I.e the big neon signed ones with no company name just the brand names of what they stock. These are a big no no. The prices aren't advertised thus they charge you what you think you can afford to pay.

They're also a money laundering front for the Triads.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Those tourist traps I.e the big neon signed ones with no company name just the brand names of what they stock. These are a big no no. The prices aren't advertised thus they charge you what you think you can afford to pay.

They're also a money laundering front for the Triads.
    I popped in once knowing fully what their like. I asked for the Iphone he said HK6500, I'm like hello........its suppose to retail for HKD4088 according to Apple website, he's like why don't u buy it from there then?

Of course Apple HK didn't have it in stock at the time. But still I was gobsmacked.

Yeah, I asked even about a suitcase in East TST in one of the small shops. The guy quoted me $2600 for the same one I bought for $800 in Wingon. I mentioned to him that 100 metres down the road i can buy the same for $800, he just said it's probably fake. I didn't bother with a response and walked out.

Bak, I was also quoted $6500 for an iphone a couple of months back in Mongkok phone market.

bak: do you really expect to pay the MSRP for the iphone at a (shady) streetshop - welcome to HK: they live off these price hikes.

I usually go to this local store first for home appliances, then go to fortress to compare prices. I don't see why some of you are so anti fortress? Service is pretty good and prices aren't worse than back home, why skimp when you're in HK? (unless you're staying a short time in HK..) Afterall, you get what you pay for 平野無好野

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdom:
    Most of the home appliances I purchased from neighborhood retailers came with 1 yr warranty. no guarantee though.

Actually these shops tend to be owner run and in business for many, many years have much better product knowledge than the housewife or zit popping youngsters working at Fortress and the like.
    What kind of product knowledge do you need for a kettle or iron?

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    What kind of product knowledge do you need for a kettle or iron?
    lol. you're not so domesticated i see. kettles i'll agree with you since it's mostly plastic ones sold here so those are all bad IMO.
    but not all irons are equal (didn't know until I used my friend's awesome one)
    i just find some staff at the larger retailers seem mostly interested in checking our their own reflections.