Like Tree63Likes

is 14000 HKD a year salary liveable in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

On shared accommodation... On a different site and all within a couple of weeks, there are around 80 ads of people looking for a flatmate . You can decide for yourself as to whether you think it's popular or not...

Most single teachers I knew that were less than 30 shared flats, many single expats that travel a lot for their work also share flats... It's a way for some to live in really nice buildings and areas with bigger kitchens and living room. Really not hard to find a flat share at all...

I make zero effort to save money, never restrict myself from the things I like and have no difficulties at all being under 15K though that doesn't include my travel budget.

Last edited by gilleshk; 19-06-2011 at 07:43 AM.

would you consider moving to NT area, save up to 70% off the rent compared to HK island, can you live with commutting up to 50 mins everyday? or even kowloon, save around 40%/50% compared to hk island.

I let my second bedroom, and when I was trying to find someone had no shortage of interest.

My income is pretty good, but i choose to have a flatmate a. for company and b. as the extra income means my rent is insignificant and improves my quality of life. You'll easily find a flatshare.

We employ two graduates on not much more than you would earn, and they manage to live ok, including going out They don't travel much though.

Like what ever one else has said you can live on 14k. I consider the cost of living here is cheap apart from accommodation and owning a car. If you want you own place rent in NT eg. you can get a 2 bedroom 700 sq ft apartment in Fanling close to east rail. Or share a flat on Hk island, seen a few of the older buildings with no lifts in causeway bay area on da cheap.

You can definitely live on that as a single person supporting only yourself. Sharing a flat is good for saving rent but bear in mind it may leave you feeling forced to join people for social events you may not really want to attend, and if that's with people earning more than you, the costs might add up.

I'd rather live in new territories and commute. 3g internet is good throughout Hong Kong so I don't see how a commute could be that boring.. ok you have to get up a bit earlier but in some ways the commute gives you a chance to "wake up" and gather your thoughts. I did it for a year and was happy enough. However, I now work in new territories so it's even easier, although I do frequently arrive to work with hair still wet from the shower feeling very tired. That's what snooze buttons do!

Some people prefer living a bit further out, myself included, but it definitely seems on this forum people put a lot of importance on living on HK island. I put more importance on getting more living space for your cash.

Sent from my HTC Desire using GeoClicks Mobile

I spent a bit less than 30k a month excluding rent but there were 6 of us.

15,000 HKD as an Intern, that's an awesome salary I would say. So, you must be pretty young and this would certainly be your first own money, so just come here, enjoy it and don't worry.

1st month in HK ( last month). I managed to spend only 3K on food and that eating out every meal (Cafe De Coral & Spaghetti house & small local places). Its not the best place to eat but 10x better than anything I can make. Of course I didn't spend anything on drinks since I had pretty much no friends other than some co workers. You can look for a flatshare and that should cost 4000-6000K (for very good ones).

So yes its very doable and you'll be able to save some.

ALSO stay away from Lan Kwai Fong.

It's definitely doable (I did it last year) but you'll want to bring a wad of dosh for start-up costs - rental deposit, phone & internet account front end fees, utilities deposits if you rent your own flat, household stuff like bedding that wouldn't come even with most shared flats, general living costs until your first pay cheque arrives.

hjeltneka and spiderpig like this.

wow a PAID internship for a year.!! What sort of industry is the internship in?? I found it hard looking for an internship never mind a PAId one for a yr.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast