Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KateInHongKong

Laundromats in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Laundromats in Hong Kong

Hey all, new to the boards. Just wondering if I could ask some questions about doing laundromats in the Hong Kong. I recently accepted a position in HK and will be arriving on July 8th. I'm going to be staying at a hotel for several weeks (hopefully during that time I'll be able to find an apartment).

Now, for those weeks I'll be in Hong Kong, I'd have to relie on other ways to do my laundry. I've read some threads here staying that Hong Kong doesn't have self-service laudromats, but laudromat services where you drop off your clothing and others wash and dry your clothing for you. Is this a reliable service? Is laundry done the same day? Could you request those who are washing your clothes to use detergent that you bring?

Also, was wondering if you could suggest some laundromats. I will be staying in the Sheung Wan area for the initial weeks that I am in Hong Kong.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Surely the hotel has a laundry service?

There are not many self service laundromats like in bigger cities in N.America or London but there are plenty of places to get your clothes washed. As you pointed out the difference is that the staff do it for you. I wouldn't worry about it. If you give specific insructions these places are reliable e.g. don't give them your finest kashmir sweater and just say 'wash it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Surely the hotel has a laundry service?
    Hotel laundry rates are exorbitant, and they probably outsource it to the local laundry anyway.

OP, you shouldn't have any issues. Most places return your laundry the next day, but I think some have an express service for the same day as well.
    Last edited by vinyljunky; 29-06-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Sheung Wan...d'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:
    Hotel laundry rates are exorbitant, and they probably outsource it to the local laundry anyway.

OP, you shouldn't have any issues. Most places return your laundry the next day, but I think some have an express service for the same day as well.
    As a matter of course, I drop my laundry off at my local neighbourhood place (in Sheung Wan!) in the morning on the way to work, and collect it the same evening - or at the weekend, drop it around lunchtime... Very rarely a problem, except just before public holidays when they are going to be closed, and then they warn me.

Do these laundromats mix your clothes with other peoples clothes do you think? Somehow I never find the clothes very "fresh" smelling when they are returned...

The laundromats are great. Most can return them washed, dried, and folded within 4 hours. You can bring your own detergent/softener if you want. And its cheap compared to the states. Most are like 25HKD for the first 3 lbs, then like 1.50 to 2.50/lb each additional pound.

They will wash the whole load together without separating the colors from whites. And you can tell them to wash in hot or cold and the degree of dryness you want.

Perhaps your clothes dont smell fresh to begin with, or you are going to a bad company to do your laundry. I personally have never had a problem with the laudromats I have used in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Molie:
    Do these laundromats mix your clothes with other peoples clothes do you think? Somehow I never find the clothes very "fresh" smelling when they are returned...

I do my laundry every week and i always use the neighbourhood laundry place. it's more convenient than a laundromat as you don't need to wait around for it. I think they do mix your clothes with others that's why i've always tried to hold out and accumulate as much laundry as i could so i could have my own washer

I used a laundry service once and once only here in Sai Kung. The laundry was returned reeking of cheap detergent and fabric softener, which they didn't ask me if I wanted and, never having used such a service before, it didn't occur to me to ask about. It was also obvious the laundry had not been rinsed properly, based on the residue on the fabric and the awful odour. All this laundry was laid across every surface in my flat for three days trying to get rid of the smell before I could use any of it.

I was also informed by a long-time resident here that the laundry service will load up the machines with as much stuff as possible in each one, be it yours or someone else's added to it to top up the machine.

I also thought it was very expensive, $98 for a load of whites including a set of sheets/pillowcases, some towels, face cloths... not really a whole heck of a lot because I managed to carry it all there and back without much effort.

After that one debacle I bought a washer for $2300. I figured that it will pay for itself within a few months, plus I can be sure my laundry is washed the way I want it, with natural detergent, no foul fabric softener, and nobody else's who-know-whats thrown in with mine!

Now my laundry hangs out the window like everyone else's and dries by the fresh ocean breeze.

Last edited by KateInHongKong; 02-12-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    audiot likes this.