Like Tree37Likes

Lamma Island -- good for a journalist on a shoestring budget?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Lamma Island -- good for a journalist on a shoestring budget?

Hi,
    Me and my family are moving from Sweden to Hong Kong early September.

Since I work as a freelance journalist we will be on a tight budget, at least in the beginning.

I've heard that Lamma Island is both cheap and relaxed. I've also hears that it has became something of a expat hub for people in the creative sectors. Is that true?

Is it a good place to live?

Very grateful for all advice!

Cheers

Is any of your family HK Residents?

Quote Originally Posted by johanjohan
    Hi,
    Me and my family are moving from Sweden to Hong Kong early September.

Since I work as a freelance journalist we will be on a tight budget, at least in the beginning.

I've heard that Lamma Island is both cheap and relaxed. I've also hears that it has became something of a expat hub for people in the creative sectors. Is that true?

Is it a good place to live?

Very grateful for all advice!

Cheers
    I think this is generally correct. There are a few journalists and creative types on lamma and it is quite cheap. U should also consider park island which also has people
    in this industry and seems a popular place for
    Scandinavians to live.

And your visa status that allows you to reside in Hong Kong when you only have a shoestring budget is?

Also, if you are currently in the middle of a war crimes trial, Lamma Island may not be an option to you. FFS.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    And your visa status that allows you to reside in Hong Kong when you only have a shoestring budget is?
    He is probably coming on a holiday visa. Should
    be fine to do that if working freelance for overseas media.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1
    He is probably coming on a holiday visa. Should
    be fine to do that if working freelance for overseas media.
    This is complete and utter bollocks.
    shri likes this.

I think if he wants visa advice he will ask. Otherwise it's his responsibility to organise his and his own families visa requirements.

luckycat and leedseagle like this.

Agree with PDSL and unless you have obained a work visa or are a legal HK resident returning then you are not allowed to work even on a freelance basis. Thus for your own sake and for your family, please make certain this move is legal and all appropriate papers in order in regards to the HK immigration dept.

Yes, Lamma is a nice, relaxed island and several foreign journalists have lived there for many years and housing is less expensive than other places in HK.

Lamma is not particularly cheap compared to many places in Hong Kong (other outlying islands, new territories etc) however it's probably the cheapest recognisably 'expat' place, if that's what you're looking for.

If you're a journalist bear in mind that they don't have much in the way of decadent luxuries such as electricity, houses or telecommunications and the people there live off the land, catching small grubs and rodents and picking berries. Communication is mainly by smoke signals and bongo drum relays so make sure your publication accepts submissions in those formats. Also, if there's a breaking news story on the mainland, by the time you paddle your canoe to civilisation it may be all over.

In terms of creativity, the expatriates of Lamma are indeed famous for their grass-weaving skills as all furniture and what passes for buildings are constructed from mud and grass. They are also adept at making simple clothing from the skins of small animals.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast